would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

FIbre/FTTC profile reset

13 REPLIES 13
olorinh
Team Player

Hi folks,

Over the Christmas period, the blingy flashing lights from us and the neighbours outputted a lot of REIN/SHINE and impacted my VDSL stability. The DLM automatically dropped my speed via SNR, from 6dB down to my current 11.5dB.

Obviously all the lights are gone now, the line is back to perfect condition and yet, my 11.5dB SNR is still with me. Is it possible to remotely reset/retrain an FTTC line - and if so, please could this be actioned? If not, could an Openreach visit be scheduled?

Thanks,

Olly.

Community Team

Hi Olly

I've optimised your connection, please let us know how the connection compares following this.

Thanks

Debbie

olorinh
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

What do you refer to when you mention an 'optimised connection' on these forums? Can you give full technical information on what was changed - because not so much as a CRC was encountered, let alone resync or SNR change.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi

When we refer to Optimising a connection, this applies to choosing the Optimise option with the DLM system for DSL Lines (Not Fibre).

This will instruct the DLM system to perform an immediate optimisation of the line by looking at the current line readings and error scores and setting what it determines to be the best profile based on those readings.  This can also sometimes trigger an overnight optimisation period.

Looking at your line, and the DLM history, the profile itself has remained at the same level but the target SNR has changed from 3db to 6db.

So the current profile is set at 22.5mb with an interleave depth of 8 and a target snr of 6db.

Thanks

Karl. 

olorinh
Team Player

Hi Karl,

I think you have the wrong line. I'm not an ADSL customer, and those look nothing like my stats I'm afraid. From my modem: http://prntscr.com/m7zeyu

If there is nothing you can do remotely to reset/retrain VDSL profiles, is it required to call up and arrange an Openreach visit?

Thanks,

Olly

Community Team

Hi

Sorry, must have made a typo entering the number.  I was busy explaining what optimising was all about, but this only applies to ADSL lines, we have no control over the fibre DLM system, this is fully under the control of BT Openreach.

Have you updated or changed the phone number on your profile recently ?  

This may explain why Deb was advising about optimising your line.

Thanks

Karl. 

viewer625
Conversation Starter

" we have no control over the fibre DLM system, this is fully under the control of BT Openreach."

But Talk Talk does control the profile for the line

Why not put the line on speed profile rather than stable and see if that improves things for him

olorinh
Team Player

Thanks for the help folks. Got me nowhere fast.

I am 48 minutes into a phone call with the Indian tech support team and I am genuinely experiencing suicidal thoughts. This is driving me crazy. Who on god's earth hires a non-tech tech support team?

The only visit I am apparently entitled to is a paid TalkTalk engineer (not Openreach) who obviously can't fix my problem. I am beyond frustrated. I'm not even sure if the TalkTalk network is worth the hassle.

Community Team

Hi olorinh,

What is your sync speed at the moment?

Chris

olorinh
Team Player

Hi Chris,

34Mbit of a max attainable 67Mbit. SNR is still 11.5dB, as it has been since December 19th.

Let's see what happens on Monday. If I cannot get an Openreach visit booked, I'll order a Plusnet service and port my number away. Gladly pay the cancellation fees - I have already paid for the engineer visit. Money is time and this company is fond of wasting mine. I have lost all hope, faith and patience.

viewer625
Conversation Starter

Changing your ISP will get you a DLM reset and if the new ISP uses a profile that is not the same profile that Talk Talk uses then you may see a speed increase

Depending on the ISP you move to you may also get the full version of 17070 and full access to the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

olorinh
Team Player

I've ordered a new line install today with Plusnet. Once that's live I'll pop a number port request into TalkTalk which will also serve as cancellation of the service. £180 cancellation fee is worth it. I'll be sad to lose out on Manchester transit and peering (Cloudflare, Netflix, iPlayer etc) but c'est la vie.

I'll update with the no-doubt pointless TalkTalk visit on Monday.

viewer625
Conversation Starter

Wow new line ...

Could you not just get you new ISP to port your TT number over, might be worth talking to the new ISP on the phone about that. rather than ordering on line I have known Talk Talk lines and numbers to be ported to new ISP's

olorinh
Team Player

Nah, I'd rather a new line install. No nonsense, no excuses and no room for drama. Plus this gives me the perfect opportunity to move this number into Gamma and onto my work PBX so I no longer have to actually "use" a landline.