Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

FTP not working after switching to TalkTalk

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
First Timer

I switched from PlusNet to TalkTalk recently and have run into a problem I can't seem to rectify. I use FileZilla extensively to upload files to remote servers (I'm not hosting an FTP server myself, so it's all connecting to external servers outside my local network).

Before switching there was never any problem. After the switch, Filezilla will no longer connect in either active or passive mode. It seems to connect ok to the control port, but always fails with the same error when trying to establish the data connection:

"The data connection could not be established: ETIMEDOUT - Connection attempt timed out"

Here's what I've tried so far, but nothing has yielded any results so far:

- Switching between passive and active connections in Filezilla

- Setting the TalkTalk Wifi Hub firewall to "Low" (followed by router restart)

- Port forwarding on the router for FTP and FTP-DATA (ports 21 and 20)

- Adding exception for Filezilla application in Windows 10 firewall

- Disabling Windows 10 firewall completely

All that's changed between using Filezilla yesterday and today is that I swapped out a BT HomeHub 5 for the TalkTalk Sagemcom router, once the provider connection was switched.

Anything else I can try? It's a deal-breaker in terms of whether I can continue to use TalkTalk.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi codi9,

Sorry for the delay. I've just checked and the router has the latest version of firmware, can you confirm if you're still experiencing the same issue since your last post please?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks for having a look, Michelle.

Strangely enough, about a day after posting the problem, FTP suddenly started connecting even though I hadn't tried anything else. Maybe there was some cached record on the PC relating to DNS/connection that was causing an issue, but it's working perfectly now.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

Glad to hear its working now.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES