cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Failing Technical Text Support and Failing Fibre.

27 REPLIES 27
Kingfisher
Wizz Kid

Dear TalkTalk,

Im experiencing serious problems with your diagnostic team, its taken two days and loads and loads of text messages over 80 from TalkTalk and as many from me, to try to get TalkTalk to acknowledge yet another intermittent line fault. Of which we have had many over the years, never has our house been at fault.

I pay for the Fibre, phone and phone boost, Tv, and a Fibre boost.

After reporting a line fault on or around Oct 2018 via TalkTalk to Openreach, an engineer attended, to find this intermittent line fault. On 09/10/2018, they changed us onto a different line from the same new cabinet, and from 09/10/2018 to 16/12/2018 our broadband, well it was amazing 50 plus with no errors or hiccups. also our Samknows device concurred. So too the phone had no voice issues.

After 16/12/2018 we start reducing into the 40mbs pluses, and it all starts to go down hill, until, Phone calls start cutting out again, and streaming TV intermittently stopping, I dont know about you, but we cant stand the interruptions in TV programs and web surfing. Even calls we made are intermittently interrupted with us sounding like a robot voice.

On 06/02/2019, I installed the supplied TalkTalk D-link 3782 router, only for testing, just in case our Draytek was failing, it hadn't, the problems still existed, streaming problems again.

So I called TalkTalk on 07/02/2019, found I could not talk to anyone. We have to text instead, so I spent the next two days texting, then on 08/02/2019 I was told we needed an Openreach engineer.

But its not over yet, as I was then informed the reported fault had timed out and had to start the WiFi test again. Now we are at 34mbs.

Now we do not use WiFi for Streaming, we use cable (Ethernet). I explained over this over and over again, we use Ethernet (cat5+), didn't make any difference to your staff, they're still on about WiFi.

At 19:15hrs on 08/02/2019, I'm being told not to take any notice of the 34mbs speed we now have, as the fault was caused by the TalkTalk D-Link modem, and that setting this back to default has rectified everything, as if by a miracle.

But nothing has changed in the modem, this was always at default setting out the box a day ago. still the line is at 34mbs in the router.

I complained saying, Why would I be paying for 76mbs for two years if 30 plus mbs was good enough. It was suggested I should find another plan.

Reluctantly after the TalkTalk representative has announced how helpful they have been, I blue a fuse, I was dumbfounded, this attitude left me speechless.

So I removed the standby TalkTalk D-Link modem and connected our Draytek router. Our Line is now coming in at 37+ Still a long way from the 50+ we used to have.

For goodness sake get your act together.

TalkTalk do you think this is good.

Regards an Angry Kingfisher.

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault and I can see re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service at the moment such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Thanks

Kingfisher
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for taking a look, but Im still affected at the way we have been treated.

We had a main line call from a lady looking into my TalkTalk complaint to re-test, I was asked to re-install the TalkTalk D-Link 3782 router, and agreed I would hang up and do this right away, and I asked if she would ring me back in ten minutes, she agreed.

While up steps, doing this change I heard my mobile ring and ring-off, as this too goes through our modems it wouldn't stay ringing.

We waited another two hours plus, and never received a further call from TalkTalk.

So I re-connected the best Router the Draytek, with a Line-in speed of 40mbs, and 38mbs at the Desktop. Still a long long way from the 50mbs plus we've had.

As you asked, we have experienced no dialtone at times, but at the moment apart from a hiss and a background hum, the phone is functioning.

I understand these Copper Wires can have interferance, but something happened around the 10th to12th of December 2018 to cause a deteriation of our line quality and speed, and its still getting worse, and it seems trying to tell TalkTalk is next to useless.

Kingfisher

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher

Noise on the line can affect the broadband connection so we have to investigate this first.

Is the hiss and hum sound still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Kingfisher
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your interest, When I tested for noise, I did indeed use a corded phone plugged into our master socket, I used this emergency phone as our digital has Noise Reduction.

Today the noise is no longer present, and with our Draytek online we get 38mbs at the Pc and 41mbs at the router. still a long way from the 50mbs plus we have had. please see attached trace. Have TalkTalk reduced my contracted specification.

Kingfisher

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher 

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault. Is the noise on the line intermittent?

Is the router connected at the test socket? (with face plate removed) I can then raise this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Kingfisher
Wizz Kid

Dear Debbie, 

I have received a phone call from your selves which ive answered and i couldn't 

make the person the other end hear me. This happens intermittently as before reported when our broadband is weak, we get intermittent voice problems.

Today its fine, no line noise, receiving calls fine, making calls fine. But the broadband is not recovering to its before speed of 50 mbs plus

For info I'm plugged into a new Openreach Mk4 main socket. It has a separate ADSL port and a Phone port., this was fitted back in pre October 2018 when the same faults as now where reported and subsequently rectified by the line change at the cabinet, which cured everthing. 

That is until around December 12th  ish when something happened in the cabinet or on the line that has caused interference and subsequently started to again interferewith our feed.

This is where the TalkTalk repair system has failed, i still cant get over spending two days texting, and being hassled by questions about WiFi which we dont use by default only for mobiles.

The fact that the FTTC automatic line management system is backing off our speed I would have thought should be enough to suggest a problem, had we been FTTH i would not expect interference, and your new fault finding system would work, but alas we are FTTC, and TalkTalk dont seem to no longer have the mechanism to deal with this.

If We ever have a fault in our property Inwill pay, but it never has been yet. How do I report this fault to Openreach, because they are the only people who can deal with this.

Regards Kingfisher.

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've passed this over to our Network Team now. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

Kingfisher
Wizz Kid

Dear Michelle. 

How do I "bumb" . I'm not up on this terminology as I thought it was just to reply but that has failed in the past.

I appreciate your help thank you..

Kingfisher 

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher,

Apologies for the confusion, if you could post on your thread requesting an update then we can re-check this for you.

Thanks

Kingfisher
Wizz Kid

Dear TalkTalk,

Please could I have an Update, as Ive not heard anything from your network on my service failings after the 12th December 2018 to present day.

Latest check is 39mbs, still a long way from last years 50mbs.

And still I get phone calls cut off after pressing 1 on our keypad.

Regards Kingfisher

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher,

We've been advised that the next step will be to arrange a BTOR Engineer visit to the property so I've sent you a Personal Message to confirm some details.

Please do not post any personal information on the Community, reply via Personal Message (PM) only.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher,

I've received confirmation from our network team that the engineer visit is booked for 04/03 PM (13:00-18:00) - please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

Kingfisher
Wizz Kid

Dear Chris & TalkTalk Team.

The Openreach Engineer did arrive as expected, a very pleasant chap, he tested the Line as far as they could.

Given the failings of the Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) system and the 500mtr of copper cable to get from the said Cabinet to home, there is a likelihood of interference/ crosstalk from other users, which at time of testing could not be verified, although on occasions is evident in the "Samknows" data traces. This has too fail completely to be source detectable. the good news our house wiring is fine. excusing the loss of broadband speed to 37Mbs.

Now the business, On consultation with their Openreach engineers for this road, Its been suggested that, the 80mbs feeds higher frequency could, very well be its own demise, and a 40mbs or 50mbs feed which has a lower frequency could travel better and further along the distance, especially in the copper cable from the cabinet. They said if they reset the feed it will likely go back to 50mb but only for a few weeks until the system actes on the lines failings, returning to the sub 40mbs.

With your permission, Openreach have asked me to talk to yourselves, TalkTalk Tech, to carry out a monitored Fibre To The Cabinet feed trial here, whereby the fibre feed is reduced to a suggested 40mbs or 50mbs feed, and monitor the results. This I can do if I have some one to report too.

The reason given is to compare the interference resistance and ascertain if reducing the frequency would improve stability/sync which would stop the Openreach Speed management system reducing the feed by so much.

I am prepared to send reliable results from my Ethernet connected devices, I would like to know if this is a good idea or not, and would TalkTalk accept this, and who do I lease with.???

Regards

Kingfisher.

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher

Thanks for your reply.

I've contacted our Network Team in regards to this and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Kingfisher
Wizz Kid
Dear Debbie,

Most grateful, thank you. You have made my day. and you started so early, please have a good day.

Kingfisher
Community Team

Hi Kingfisher

No problem. I will let you know as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher

Our Network Team have advised that they are not aware of this trial (monitored Fibre To The Cabinet feed trial) So this is not something we would be able to arrange. Apologies for this.

They have suggested that you remove the fibre speed boost.

Thanks

Debbie

Kingfisher
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie.

Almost, I may have missled you, my appologied.

No, the Openreach Engineears have asked us to do the trial HERE using the Samknows device to monitor with, and to see if the line becomes more efficent, and still meet the needs of the people living at my property, the end after the troubled copper line. ie, reducing the Fibre feed to 50mbs and so monitoring the results here.

I was asking TalkTalk if this was ok, and to have a contact at your end I can report the Samknows Data too.??

Kingfisher.

Community Team

Hi Kingfisher

You would need to contact Samknows as they provide the box once a trial is running.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Debbie