Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fast 5364-3. T8 Router VPN issues

38 REPLIES 38
PJH1968
Team Player

I am having an issue with connecting to my works remote desktop via VPN. When attempting to connect it says "(Failed to get domain name) Could not download the configuration from the server".

My IT department has advised that it is something to do with TalkTalk's broadband / router configuration. My VPN works fine on other wifi networks and all other employees using the same setup have no issues. I am using Watchguard Mobile VPN with SSL.

I have already added my first & last name, broadband phone number & alternative contact number to my profile to enable TalkTalk tie up my forum username to the broadband account.

Its watchguard mobile vpn with ssl

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-
Divsec
Community Star

Hi Phil, welcome to the community. Your router does support VPN so a couple of suggestions until the OCE team pick up your post and give you a good answer.

Did you try checking the Homesafe settings and disabling as many as you can?

Also worth changing the DNS servers from 79.79.79.79 and .78 to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Worth a try

D

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi Philhulme,

Sorry, I can't see any details in your profile so can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris

PJH1968
Team Player

Hi Chris

Please try now, all added.

Regards 

Phil

Community Team

OK thanks, I'll take a look at this now. Did you try Divsec's suggestions?

Chris

PJH1968
Team Player

I did not try Divsecs suggestions. It's for a works laptop I use at home so I referred it to our IT manager here. A colleague here had the same issue & didn't need to do it so we decided to leave it until such time as you had a chance to look and could hopefully update the firmware as did with my colleague.

Thanks for your prompt attention.

Phil

Community Team

I can try another firmware version, is it OK to update your router firmware now?

Chris

PJH1968
Team Player

I'm not at home so can't tell you anything but sure please go ahead do what you can & when I get home I can try.

Phil

Community Team

OK, I'll try updating your firmware later this afternoon as I'm having problems communicating with your router at the moment

Chris

PJH1968
Team Player

The landline telephone number I put in my profile I am 75% sure is right but I have been with talktalk for many years and never had a phone connected to the landline so I do have a bit of doubt. If required I can give further info but obviously via a secure platform

Phil 

Community Team

I can find your details but looks as though the router isn't connected to the internet, is it currently switched on and connected to the telephone socket?

Chris

PJH1968
Team Player

I can confirm the router is on and connected to the socket

Phil

Highlighted
PJH1968
Team Player

Just had the other half check and it appears there is no internet connection on the TV though. Netflix won't work & Amazon gives warning about low band width.

Phil

PJH1968
Team Player

ok restarted TV and it Netflix works now. Amazon prime also now working. 

Never had that issue with either before.

Phil

Community Team

OK thanks, I'll try to update your firmware again, I'll let you know how I get on

Chris

Community Team

OK, I've updated your firmware, it should complete in a few minutes. Could you please retest and let us know if there's any difference 

Thanks

Chris

PJH1968
Team Player

Thank you Chris. I will retry this evening when return from work & let you know.

Phil

Community Team
PJH1968
Team Player

Hi Chris

Afraid it has not worked. Can connect but terrible lag.

Phil

Community Team

OK thanks. I can send a different make and model of router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris