Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fast Fibre + Boost: high packet loss and duplicate packets

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi andi,

I've contacted our Network Team now and have asked if they can provide an update on this ASAP.

Thanks

OCE_Michelle

Hi andi,

Our Network Team have advised that they have tried to make contact. They have advised that they have sent a different router for testing and have asked if you could test this when this arrives and let us know if there is any improvement please?

Thanks

andi_b
Participant

Thanks Michelle, I'll test asap once the new router arrives.

Last Update as of today: Thu 29 Oct 11:14:53 GMT 2020

Good upload speed (as always) but broken download speed.

188 packets transmitted, 173 received, +9 duplicates, 7.97872% packet loss, time 187496ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.276/7.670/25.308/3.226 ms

andi_b_1-1603970176408.png

Update: Thu 29 Oct 13:01:14 GMT 2020

I restarted the router again as the connection performance didn't allow me to WFH properly due to continuous slowness and lags. Unfortunately it didn't get any better.

620 packets transmitted, 520 received, +19 duplicates, +4 errors, 16.129% packet loss, time 621875ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.857/7.346/27.233/3.084 ms, pipe 3

To be honest, I cannot imagine this has anything to do with the router, as it works perfectly and at full speed at certain times. The first host I see with the traceroute command is "ae50-ner002.thw.as13285.net". Can the network engineers try to get some evidence from there? Is there any other information I can give you to help troubleshooting the issue?

Thanks

OCE_Michelle
andi_b
Participant

Hi, since I got the new router last Friday I didn't see a single duplicate packet and the connection runs smoothly. Would have been nice finding the issue 4 months ago as it would have saved me lots of trouble. Many thanks anyway for being so proactive trying to solve my issue.

Is it OK to return the old router now or you want me to test anything else?

Here the info about the old and new TalkTalk routers:

andi_b_0-1604591283307.png

OLD:
Device Type: DG8041W 2.T5
Hardware Version: I.1.01
Software Version: v1.05t

NEW:
Hardware Version: FAST5364 3.00
Software Version: SG4K10002816t

OCE_Michelle

Hi andi,

I'm sorry for the delay and thanks for the update. Is the connection still ok since your last post? Did you receive a router returns bag?

Thanks

andi_b
Participant

Hi Michelle,

the connection is stable now. The max download speed is 49 MBit/s which is the minimum contract speed. I'm happy that the issue is finally resolved. And yes I got a return bag so I can send the old/faulty router back today if you're OK with it.

Thanks

OCE_Michelle

Hi andi,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for confirming. There is no rush to return the old router as I appreciate that we're now in a 2nd lockdown so please return when it's safe for yourself to do so 🙂

Thanks