cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fast5364 losing wired connections

45 REPLIES 45
Whizz Kid

Our 2 week old faster fibre modem has started to drop wired connections.

Very very frustrating, as 2 of the wired devices are my PC which runs home security camera system and our new youview box.

Wifi seems unaffected.

Turning modem off for 30 minutes resolves this but only for an hour or so.

Any suggestions?

Is it a faulty modem?

Craig

Community Star

What Cat rating Ethernet cables are you using & what length are they?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Whizz Kid
Cat 5 i assume and less than a metre....
Community Star

Cat 5 is very old now. You need to use Cat 6 really for any Gigabit Ethernet connections, you might get away with Cat 5e if short.

Anything less than Cat 6 has the potential to error & therefore cause all sorts of problems. The marking is on the cable somewhere (or should be).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Whizz Kid
I appreciate that info, though not sure why its worked flawlessly for 21 days then all of s sudden started dropping wired connections

ive replaced 1 cable with the only cat 6 one i have at the moment.

Cant see any difference, but if 1 device looses connection and the other doesn't ill be amazed
Community Star

I am not saying that it will definitely be the cause of the problem, it could be a router fault but it could just as easily be the cable type. If it is still unstable on this device, then I will ask the OCEs to consider a replacement. The OCEs do not normally work at weekends, so you have not lost any time trying this.

Keith

Whizz Kid
Well, that didnt take long. About 2 hours then lost wired connections again.....
Community Star

OK thanks for ruling that out. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

Due to the current Coronavirus situation, the OCEs are very busy and there will be more of a delay to get a TalkTalk response. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

Community Star

Hi.   I say following and also say Keith is a top guy with help. BUT i must say following.

You have a Fast SageMcom router.  I bet it was running ok when it arrived. It would have been running Firmware version 1400t.  By shear chance i bet the firmware has been upgraded to 2810t.   You can see the firmware version if from your browser you type 192.168.1.1. The version will be on bottom left of router display page.

If it is 2810t then welcome to the club.  I have two routers of your description at home which were upgraded to firmware ending with code 2810t, Both are unusable with issues that you have. Eventually the router will reset and sit with a constant orange light. You are then forced to reset the router that will then work up to 28 hours and then screw up again.. I don't care what anyone says or suggests. If it is 2810t firmware then that is the cause. The firmware is utter rubbish and causing the issue.  Ask for a DGW router. At least the stay online for 40 days and above, without dropping your service..      Please note: These are my own findings.  For some others the firmware appears to work. God knows why.  Ask the OCE to re-install firmware 1400t., and prevent further auto upgrades.  Otherwise TT systems auto upgrade the router back to 2810t. Then same issue starts all over again.

Whizz Kid
Paulshent,

Thanks for the reply. My router firmware is indeed SG4K10002810t.

I cant really telly when it may have been updated, if at all from first install on 29th May.

Your comments are appreciated though and i will await an OCE's response on the matter ASAP.
Community Star

Hi @Craighew 

I would say that the firmware V2810 problem that @paulshent does not affect all Sagemcoms, mine has run fine on Ethernet & Wi-Fi since the upgrade.

Keith

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Craighew,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see quite a few re-connections on the line. Does your master socket have a test socket? Do you have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

Whizz Kid
I dont have another router to test with. And yes master socket has a tedt port when i unscrew facia off...
Whizz Kid
Sorry, test port
Whizz Kid
Hi, any updates on this?

My wired connections have had very little service today.

That is my main PC and my YouView box. 2 fairly important nodes on my home network.

I've read a fair bit online today (wifi smartphone) and it would seem im not the only one struggling with the Sagemcom fast5364 and wired connections being dropped?

Any update appreciated.

Craig

Hi Craig,

I'm sorry for the delay and thanks for confirming. Is the router currently connected to the test socket? Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Whizz Kid
Hello,

Thanks.

A new router would seem to be the next logical step.

Im really struggling with this, as everything was fine out of the box 3 weeks ago and i had our home network up and running withing an hour or so.

I'm In ex-IT Manager so fairly competent with network setups etc.

My issue seems solely with the 3 hard wired connections.

Wifi does seem superb with the Fast5364 and is the only thing that has kept us online for a week.

What's your thoughts on the potential firmware issue with ver 2801 ?

I would have thought that would be very easy to test, as i could load a previous known stable version of firmware is you could email me the relevant file.

I know new installs sometimes take a while to settle and once they've bedded down we just expect them to work, so i havent host faith yet.

I will leave it up to you which modem to send me, but we do rely on good wifi in our house and i i ne at least 3 wired connections to be stable.

Thanks.
Whizz Kid
I did connect to the test socket most of yesterday and still same issue with the wired connections

Hi Craighew

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Whizz Kid
Thanks.

I may have stumbled upon a solution.

I have moved the router power adapter to a different mains socket in another room (temporarily for my wife's sanity) via a long trailing extension lead.

All my wired connections are back on-line.

Not sure why or how but ill run like this for a couple of days and see how things go in respect of disconnects.

I didnt think routers were susceptible to electrical noise through their power adapters?

Craig