Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster 150 Fibre offer - worth it?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi folk's,

Had an email from TT today offering me Faster 150 Fibre and was wondering if it would be worth trying?

The thing is, my current Fibre with Speed Boost speeds have never quite got up to the minimum guaranteed speed TT gave me (53Mbps). Even after much investigation by Openreach.

What hope do I have that Faster 150 will live up to expectations?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Beanz 🙂

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

This is G. fast I thought you needed to be in say the hot zone in and around the cabinet area as the further away you are you will not be able to get it. If your only getting 53Mbps will you be in this zone ??...I`m right near my BT exchange (it over looks my back garden the green cab` is in the area near me. Im getting as fast as you can from FTTC connection but alas for me its not set up for G.fast which I guess I would be able to get this faster 150 Fibre) so do you know the green cab` you are on and how far away are you from it?

this site should tell you if your on it put your info in https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Highlighted
Whizz Kid
Thanks for the reply bigkenny,
I didn't realise it was available to me until I got the email and I'm not convinced it really is. I am around 400m away from the green cabinet.
When I get a chance, I will check to see if my cabinet has the Gfast 'pod' on it.

Beanz
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Beanz,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance.

Thanks

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Michelle,

I do need some assistance, please.

I would like to know if the GFast service will give me a good speed, despite the fact that my Faster Fibre with Speed Boost seems to have a max sync speed of only around 50Mbps.

I don't want to go through the upgrade process only to find that it won't work.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Beanz

Highlighted

Hi Beanz,

Does it show the estimated speeds available for your line if you log into your My Account at all?

Thanks

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Michelle,

I've just looked and yes, it does. I'm sure it didn't yesterday.

Anyway, it says typical 111 - 134 Mbps and a guaranteed minimum of 94Mbps.

Sorry to be a bit sceptical, but my Faster Fibre with Speed Boost has never quite got up to the minimum guaranteed speed.

In your experience, does the GFast service work well on sub-standard lines?

Regards,

Beanz

Highlighted

Hi Beanz,

The predicted/estimated range is provided by Openreach so the speeds that you would receive would fall between the range.

Thanks

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

OK, thanks Michelle.

So, if I sign up for G.Fast and it doesn't come up to speed, will I be able to go back to my previous deal?

Regards,

Beanz

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

As far as I am aware with all orders you have a cooling off period of 20 days if you upgrade to Gfast, As long as the deal you are on is available then you should be able to roll back to the current deal

Gfast should give you the minimum of 95 mbps according to our system. 

Hope that helps

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi Arne,

Thanks for the reply.

That's the problem, I don't know if the deal I'm on now is still available. So, I'm a bit reluctant to go for G.Fast in case it doesn't work very well on my line. I've had trouble getting the Speed Boosted Faster Fibre up to the minimum speed as it is.

Also, I'm confused about the £60 set-up fee. Is there one?

When I click on the email link, it takes me to a page that says 'no set-up fee'. Then it seems to add it on to the total later, as well as the £4 TV fee which I cancelled years ago!

Do you know the true cost?

Regards,

Beanz

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor
I think you need to check some things. G.fast only really works if your in and around your green cabinet it only works upto about 300 metres after that it drops off. If your not getting a top speed on your FTTC fibre now you might struggle with G.Fast. Try and find out which cabinet your on and how far it is away from your house
Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi again bigkenny,

I did answer this after your previous reply.

Anyway, I'm nearly 400m away from the cabinet. Which makes me nervous about even trying G.Fast. However, the minimum guaranteed speed is 94Mbps. That would be roughly double what I can get on Faster Fibre with Speed Boost. I would be happy with that.

Still a bit sceptical I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Beanz

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor
so with the speed boost your getting about 47Mbps........I suppose you could stop and ask an Openreach guy when you see them working around and see what he says. I`m sure if you ask a quick question he might give your some good info` its worth asking. My gut feeling is your to far but you never know
Highlighted

Hi @Beanz

Sorry for the delay. 

You are on our current  faster fibre deal which will be available, Minimum speed is what we have to guarantee, if its not reached then we can book an engineer to go out. 

There is a setup fee unfortunately as an engineer is required to carry our other work and complete the setup.  Again if the speeds at go live, are not up to standard that engineer will be required to fix it. 

Regards