Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster 150 Fibre

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello everybody,

I hope you can help. I got upgraded to faster 150 fibre and an openreach engineer was sent for the go live date on the 9th July 2020. He put in a new modem and everything was fine on that side.

However, when he connected from the modem to the talktalk router in to the wan port, there was a problem. After going in to the routers settings, it was clear that the Wan was disconnected and the firmware was not updated. It was the same firmware that was on the router from 2018.

He got in touch with the technical department of talktalk who said the router was faulty and would send a replacement out.

I got the new router the next day and set it up and it did not work. I went in to the routers settings and guess what, the Wan was disconnected and the firmware was well out of date. 

I got in touch with talktalk and explained the problem but they were more concerned about master sockets. After over 1 hour they said they would send out an engineer on the 25th July.

I am not holding out that this will be fixed because its the same problem the other engineer had.

Why are talktalk rolling out faster fibre and not having the routers to take it and why on earth would you disable the Wan port when the openreach modem has to connect to it.  

Do the routers not automatically update the firmware considering the cost of them.

I am annoyed because I am getting billed for a service but am not actually getting the service.  

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @T4bhe2 how frustrating! The OCE team here will help you and your post has been flagged for their assistance you should hear soon.

Makes me glad I have invested in my own router, not suggesting you should do the same.. the kit supplied should work!

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi T4bhe2,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've just completed a radius resync, please can you now try powering down the router and modem for a full 30 minutes and then try and connect again.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Hello Michelle,
That failed to work. Can you please ask why the Wan is disconnected on both of the routers I have. The super fibre from the open reach modem connects into the Wan port.
The first engineer told your technical department this was the problem, I was there listening to conversation and all they did was to say router was faulty and they will send another one out. Well that was an epic failure.
Another engineer is due on the 25th July and I guarantee they will say the same.
Can you update my firmware as this is well out of date.
Can you do anything about my bill as I am paying for this service and I don't actually have one.
I do hope you can answer some of these questions Michelle.
Regards
Highlighted

Hi

Can you Have pin reset the router - hold a pin or paperclip in the reset hole at the back for 10 seconds and this will fully reset the router. 

Connect via the WAN port and leave turned on and we can see if we can reach the router from here.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Karl,

I did what you said but that made absolutely no difference what so ever.

The engineer is due tomorrow and if they cannot do anything then I am off to another provider.

I have been with talktalk since 2013 and have had no problems but this is not good enough.

They have jumped on the faster fibre option and have failed to provide a router that is ready for this leap forward.

Never mind, that's life. 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi

If you want to eliminate the router you can plug the network cable from the modem into a PC or laptop instead of the router as it's the modem that connects to TalkTalk. Computer will work just the same but without WIFI.

At least it might get you on the internet.

Mark

Highlighted

Hi T4bhe2,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello again Michelle,

The second engineer was here on Saturday 25th and he said exactly the same as the first engineer.

The fault lies clearly with the router due to the WAN being disconnected. The open reach modem is doing its job but the connection from it to the WAN port on the router is failing due to it being disconnected.

All the resets and powering down and up will not fix it. He even checked the old router that this one replaced and that had the Wan disconnected.

Talktalk have clearly jumped on the British Telecom bus in rolling out the fastest fibre you can get but have not got the router to handle the speed.

Well, I do not know that due to the Wan Disconnection.

I have clearly had enough with talktalk and will be going with another provider with the hope of coming back to talktalk when they sort this mess out.

Oh!! by the way Michelle, I had an e-mail from talktalk saying I will have to pay £342.19p for early exit of my contract.

Can this be right! because they have failed to provide the service. The router does not work and there is no WI-FI and I am working from home, its a nightmare.   

Would appreciate any thoughts on what to do. 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi

The Sagemcom FAST 5364 router handles the speed ok I get 152mb download and 29.6mb upload.

Mark

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Mark,

You are lucky then that your router works but why would I have two that do not!!

Two totally independent engineers have verified that both routers do not work due to the WAN port being disconnected.

I take it that your WAN port does work obviously or have you wired it up differently to what Talk Talk say.

Regards      

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi

I just used the wires that came with the router.

Did you or the engineer try plugging a laptop or computer straight into the modem just to see if the modem was ok.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Mark,

The engineer has an appliance that attaches to the modem to check the speeds and confirm that it is working, so you can rule that one out.

It is quite evident in my earlier posts that it is the router (two of them) that are faulty.

The Law 

My contract cover's both goods and services. Such contracts are governed by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (if entered into on or after 1 October 2015), or the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (if entered into before then).

These make it an implied term of the contract that the service provider will provide goods that are of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose, and that they will exercise ‘reasonable care and skill’ in the performance of their services.

If a telecoms company such as TalkTalk provides faulty equipment, or a broadband service without an adequate wi-fi signal, one can argue that it’s in breach of contract.

By expressly stating that time is of the essence, and giving a reasonable time limit in which you expect the matter to be resolved, you are fixing a time for contractual performance. If the supplier fails to perform by this date, you can treat the contract as at an end.

I rest my case.

Highlighted
Community Star

Two faulty routers seems very strange, or unlucky. Which model are they? Did you connect the new supplied cable between the modem and the red WAN port on the router on each occasion?

The full connection instructions can be found here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-your-Wi-Fi-Hub-for-Faster-150-Fibre/ta-p/2202637

Highlighted

Hi T4bhe2,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Would you like us to send another replacement router? Or we can arrange for a member of our Tech Team to contact you directly?

If you did want to leave then I'd recommend speaking directly to our Loyalty Team so they can arrange/go over this with you.

Thanks