Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fiber connection keeps dropping

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello,

I have just recently moved house and upgraded to faster fiber. Doing a bit of research it says that I am still in a "stabilisation" period (14days) and my connection can ocasionally drop.

My problem is that the connection is dropping/router restarting about every 2minutes (not ocasionally), making even impossible to use talktalk live chat function, that's why I am starting a topic here. Everything is connected according to the instructions from the packaging. I only have a one BT box in the aparment so I am assuming that's the master one.

When the internet works, it works great and the speed is stable, but even during the time it took me write this post, the connection dropped twice

Any ideas? I don't have an alternative ruter to try the connection with.

Highlighted
Community Star

Are there any noticeable issues with the phone service such as noise on the line, or lack of dialtone? Does your master socket have a test socket you can connect to? 

Subject to that, the support team here will gladly look into this for you, but bear in mind they won't be back online until Monday. Make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me.

My socket looks exactly as the one on the picture attached. I have now plugged it directly into the test socket, let's see what happens.

Screenshot 2019-02-23 at 14.14.23.png

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Oh, yes and also, not sure if telephone Is working as we only use the connection for broadband
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Miroslav17b,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Would it be possible to borrow a phone for testing purposes to rule out any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

A voice fault can affect the broadband connection and would need to be investigated first.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello Michelle,

I will update you if I can get a phone anywhere as soon as possible.

I am not at home at this very moment, but I have left the router plugged directly into the test socket and the internet connection hasn't dropped since. 

Shall I leave it in the test socket for the moment?

Highlighted

Hi Miroslav17b,

Yes please. Please let us know if you do manage to get hold of a phone.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Hello Michelle,

No luck with the phone yet, and can't get one anywhere, unless I go pick a cheap one in Argos 🙂
Highlighted
Community Star

Worth getting, a lot cheaper then paying for an engineer to come and tell you it’s your phone line. 

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Thank you Ferguson,

That's the plan then. Will keep the router plugged in test socket in the meantime and update the thread as soon as I get the landline phone...

Thank you for everyone's help so far!
Highlighted

Hi Miroslav17b 

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie