cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fiber connection not been as reliable recently and today has dropped 3 times.

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I've had TalkTalk faster fibre for many years and since renewing just over 6 months ago, I've had no issues until recently.

The past few weeks, when I play online games or stream video I've noticed that it will sometimes randomly drop packets. My game has a notification to show that there is packet loss, and the ping shoots up. Watching videos the quality drops from HD to a lower setting.

Today, my internet connection has dropped three times. I've been using my PC (wired connection) when it dropped twice, and once on my laptop (Wireless). All three times I logged into the router to see the status and it is saying the internet connection isn't connected.

I purchased the 'new' TalkTalk router when I renewed my contract to ensure that when I play online games and stream videos I would have the best possible experience.

Clearly, something is interfering, can my line be checked to see if there are any protentional faults. I had issues around a year ago and had a very poor experience of OpenReach trying to find the issue...

Thank you 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Been with talk talk just over a month and the service is very unreliable. 

Claireol76
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi sshum

Apologies for this.

The line test has detected a possible fault. Is your landline service working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I do not use the landline, shall I make a call? What would I expect to hear/not hear?

Highlighted

Hi

You should hear a clear dial tone, and if you press a number as thou you were about to start dialling the line should go quiet for a few seconds.  See if the line is quiet or you hear any crackling or buzzing on the line.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
It seems to be quiet at the moment. Next time my game starts to slow, and/or streaming video slows down I will check the phone.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ok, so I was playing an online game and I was lagging a little. The net stats in the corner showed that packets were being dropped, but only downstream. I'm playing this on a PC which is only connected via ethernet cable. 

I took a video (and converted it to an image for here), while still connected, I went to the phone and did not hear any, it was clear. 

Any ideas?

Highlighted

Hi sshum,

Could you run a wired ping and trace route and post the results into the thread.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Over the past few days I've not noticed any issues, this might be due to the hot weather. But today there were a few spikes in ping/packets dropped.

I've just run a ping & traceroute and nothing unusual is showing up currently. 

ping google.co.uk

Pinging google.co.uk [216.58.208.163] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.208.163: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 216.58.208.163:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 4ms

tracert google.co.uk

Tracing route to google.co.uk [216.58.208.163]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ttrouter [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms host-78-151-238-69.as13285.net [78.151.238.69]
4 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms host-78-151-238-64.as13285.net [78.151.238.64]
5 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms host-78-144-14-106.as13285.net [78.144.14.106]
6 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 209.85.175.102
7 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms 108.170.246.161
8 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 216.239.46.39
9 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms lhr25s09-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.208.163]

Trace complete.

Highlighted

Hi sshum,

Thanks for running the tests, how has it been over the weekend?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

My service seems to go down for an hour every Sunday at midnight. Anyone else having this issue?

Claireol76
Highlighted

Hi clairep76

Apologies for this.

Did this happen last night? Please can you try switching HomeSafe off and then back on again and let us know if you are still experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I don’t have HomeSafe

Claireol76
Highlighted

Hi clairep76

Thanks for your reply.

I've asked our Network Team to take a look at this and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi clairep76

Our Network Team have asked if you can enable HomeSafe and then switch it off again to see if this resolves this issue?

You can activate this in My Account, simply select View HomeSafe settings from the My services drop-down menu bar.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi clairep76

How are you getting on? Did you have a chance to activate HomeSafe and then switch it off again?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

So my internet has been generally fine, no dropped connections, but a few packets are still being dropped occasionally (but not as much as before).

The next time I notice a bigger problem I will run another traceroute & ping.

Highlighted

Hi sshum

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox