Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre 150 slowed down

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Morning,

Thanks for the update. There are 4 ethernet ports on the router. Does this happen if you try connecting to a different port?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle

I have tried different ports all still the same.

Ethernet Max's out at about the 50mbps mark where as my WiFi is 120-140mbps.

Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Does this happen on more than one wired device. Is the device that you're testing capable of higher speeds than this?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle

Yes the device is my pc and it's capable of 1gb over Ethernet.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle

I was just wondering if you have had chance to look into this anymore?

Highlighted

Hi Nautilus186,

Do you have another wired device that you can test? Have you tried factory resetting the router and then retesting the wired speed again?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle

I have tried another pc and it's the same .l have also reset the router and it is the same.

Wifi is fine at over 120 Mbps but Ethernet is still in the 50 Mbps.

My pc states that is can receive up to 1gbps over Ethernet. I have also tried some gigabit plug adapters the software for those says over my wired network l can get 700mbps.

Very strange as it is only in the 50s .

Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for trying this. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle

Yes we could try that if that's not too much trouble as l think it might be the router as l do remember it testing at faster speeds In the past when l had faster fibre.

Just not having much luck at the moment.

Thanks.

👍

Highlighted

Hi Nautilus186

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thanks hopefully this will solve the issue.

Highlighted

Hi Nautilus186

No problem 🙂 Please let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Will do.

👍

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Have installed the new router and things appear to be working fine now although for some reason the WiFi is still faster. l have sent the old router back in the returns bag.

I was wondering whether part of the problem might be that the faster fibre 150 has to go through the openreach modem first and this causes some incomparability issues with the Ethernet ports on the WiFi hub.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Hi

You can plug the modem straight into a PC and do a speed test to eliminate the router.

Are  all your network cables cat5e or cat6, if they are cat5 the speed will be below 100mb.

Are you using powerline adapters as most of these only run at 100mb at the network port they advertise at 600mb but that's only between the plugs.

Worth a try

Mark

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi 

Modem speed was shown to me by the openreach engineer last week which showed 140 Mbps.

I have gigabit LAN on the pc and gigabit home plug adapters. The tp link software for the adapters shows 700mbps over the house wiring.between the pc and the homplug next to the router.l am using Cat 6 ethernet.

I have run my Lan adapter at full duplex also.lm at a bit of a loss now but have concluded that l can live with it as the wi fi is running fine at over 120mbps.

Maybe a future WiFi hub firmware update will fix the issue.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi have just tried plugging direct to the modem and get the same result.l am not trying to link pc direct to modem as it's upstairs and will take ages again to do.

Even though they are gigabit adapters can that cause 60mbps over internet with a speed of 150 Mbps ?.

I appreciate all the help you are giving me.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi

The only other thing l can think is could the speed test results be wrong and could this be attributed to something with the faster fibre 150 set up /installation.

Like l say WiFi speeds are great it's just the Lan speed .

I had an issue originally with the WiFi speed but the engineer who visited last week sorted this out as he said there was a fault on the line but it's all fixed now.

Highlighted

Hi Nautilus186,

Do you still see the same speeds on 2 different wired devices? How far away is the wired device from the router? Are you using a long ethernet cable?

Thanks