cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre - Downstream Line Rate capped?

14 REPLIES 14
KevM3000
Chatterbox

I have Faster Fibre and my Downstream Line rate is showing exactly 18000 kB/s in the Router menu

i have previously had up to 36mb on speed tests and guaranteed 32mb on my contract 

Has this been capped by TT or is it DLM?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @KevM3000 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi KevM3000

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 17.2mb.

There were a really high number of re connections showing on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Was the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

KevM3000
Chatterbox

Yes, we’ve had lots of power outages over the past two weeks.  

We have moved the router to the main socket and back a couple of times to try to eliminate faults on the recommendation of the last engineer who visited and I tried 3 30+ min power-downs yesterday.

I have been getting consistent 16-17mb also, but should be getting 36+

Community Team

Hi KevM3000

Thanks for your reply.

If the connection has been unstable then DLM will change the profile and reduce the speed to help stabilise the connection.

Please can you leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router. We can then check the connection stats again to see if DLM starts to increase the speed (if connection remains stable)

Thanks

Debbie

KevM3000
Chatterbox

So we’re well past the 48 hrs now.

i have logged into the router and we’re still 18000kb/s downstream line.

Are TT able to re-check?

Many thanks

Community Team

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test which is still clear. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Does the master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

KevM3000
Chatterbox

Yes, the line is free from interference.

We do have a master socket, which I have tried in the past with no significant increase in speed.

We have had a lot of power outages recently and I think that has triggered Openreach to impose a restriction 

Community Team

Hi KevM3000,

Just to confirm, do you mean a test socket behind the faceplate? Your guide to master sockets

If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket whilst we are looking into the drop in speed?

Thanks

KevM3000
Chatterbox

I have tested internal wiring with little or no variance in speed.

Logging into my router shows the Downstream line rate set at exactly 18000kb/s, and that’s what I’m pretty much achieving on speed tests.

If your tests are clear and I’m getting all of the speed I should with my home wiring, how can I get the restriction off the Downstream Line Rate?  

It’s set to less than 50% of what I’m contracted for.

Has BT DLM capped me?  

Community Team

Hi KevM3000,

Is your router currently connected to your test socket (the socket under the master socket faceplate)? If it is then how long has it been connected to the test socket?

Chris

KevM3000
Chatterbox

Ok, so we had another engineer visit, the guy was fairly switched on.  Tested our internal wiring and passed it as ok.  Concluded that the fault was external and escalated to Openreach.

The Openreach engineer came today, spoke to me on the phone and concluded that we needed a reset, which he did.  The line was giving close to 40 meg.

On returning home this evening, the Openreach guy has cut every internal extension in the house (some faceplates not re-attaches), cut some of our internal Alan sensor wiring (because he couldn’t understand what they were) and left us with no landline phones working anywhere in the house and has the router working at the front hall with a power extension lead up a flight of stairs.

My wife works from home and he has butchered the wiring in her office and left her no connectivity at all!

All we needed was a line reset after the power outages last week!!!

How can I get urgent help???

Community Team

Hi KevM3000,

I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the work carried out by the engineer. Just to confirm, is your router connected to the master socket faceplate or is the faceplate currently removed and router connected to the test socket?

Chris

KevM3000
Chatterbox
The TalkTalk engineers were all fine. It was Openreach that butchered the home wiring!!
Community Team

Hi KevM3000

I can raise a complaint so this can be discussed further with a Complaints Manager. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie