Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre - Slow Speeds

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Team Player

A few weeks ago, I noticed a drop in download speeds. It was discovered that there was a fault on the line - someone from Open Reach came and fixed the problem outside in a few minutes, and speeds were back to where they had been.

Over the last week or so, speeds have again fallen and now download is 3.5mbps and upload is 0.7mbps on the speed checker. However, the message I'm getting on the Service Status page this time is that the line connection is good and the in-home setup needs checking, despite the fact that I'm not doing anything differently. I have tried all the suggestions on the Service Status page but nothing makes any difference.

Could someone look into this please? Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @simon17 your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon.

Have you tried a 30 minute reboot of the router?

Are you checking speeds wired or wireless?

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Divsec, thanks for your very quick reply.

I'm checking wireless speeds. I also tried wired last week and that was slightly slower. The 30 minute reboot hasn't made any difference in the past but there's no harm in trying it again now. Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi simon17

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test and the router is not showing in sync. Is the router currently switched off?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thank you very much for looking into this.

The router was off when you did the test as I switch it off overnight but it's back on now.

Simon17

Highlighted

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply.

For fibre connections we advise to leave the router switched on. DLM can change the profile and reduce the speed to try and stabilise the connection if it detects that the connection is unstable.

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to remember to leave it on.

I've just done another speed check and it's the same as before - 3.5 and 0.7.

Nick

Highlighted

Hi Nick

If the connection remains stable (once router is left switched on) then DLM should start to increase the speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie, thanks very much for your reply.

Do you have an idea of how long that might take please as on the speed check I've just done the download speed is down to 3.1.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Team Player

I spoke too soon.....it's back at 3.5 again, which is what it's been for a few days.

Highlighted

Hi simon,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is still clear, however the connection looks unstable which will affect the speed. Is the router connected to the test socket? Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Do you have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle

Thanks for checking the line again. To answer your questions, I don't have a test socket, I haven't noticed any noise on the line - the dialing tone has gaps at the moment rather than continuous - and I don't have an alternative router that I can try.

Highlighted

Hi simon,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? In regards to the interrupted dial tone, do you have voicemail?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle

Thanks for the offer of a new router. I'd be happy to try it if you think it'll help.

I have standard voicemail but I rarely use it. I've noticed the interrupted dial tone occasionally in the past. Is it significant?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi simon17

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

If you dial 1571 from your landline, do you have any messages waiting on the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Brilliant, thanks for that.

I've just dialled 1571.....it told me that any new messages had expired and there were none for me to pick up.

Thanks

Simon17

Highlighted

Hi Simon17

Thank you 🙂 Has the dialtone returned to normal now?

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Yes, it has. Thank you.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thank you very much for the new router. I just wanted to let you know that the speed check now has the speeds at 3.9 and 0.7.

Thanks

Simon17