would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre Speed Boost Query

24 REPLIES 24
Vysey
Team Player

Good afternoon all!

I've been with TalkTalk for about 5 years now and overall I'm very happy with the service I've had. Never had an issue with my Fibre and the router is still going strong (although a new one wouldn't go amiss 😛 ).

I've decided, after seeing the £2.50 speed boost offer to finally opt for it and get a better upload/download speed on my fibre service as I'm giving online streaming a go so a faster connection would be a benefit.

It's been about 6 days since I had the speed boost applied to my account and the speed has increased from 39mbps to 47 mbps downstream, however my line is capable (according to the stats on my router) of up to 57 mbps. Is this something that gets applied gradually or should it be boosted to the best speed I can get (probably around 55mbps to be stable) after 24-48 hours? I keep checking the sync speed and it's stayed at 47 mbps for the last 3 days now.

There is no interleaving active on my line according to the router either on both upstream or downstream.

P.S I've attached an image of the current stats, the connection time is due to doing a 30+ minute router switch off to see if it reset the line to get a better sync speed.

RouterStats2.png

Community Team

Hi Vysey,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does have a test socket then it would be worth testing the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs to see if DLM increases the sync speed any further.

Thanks

Vysey
Team Player

Thanks for replying, I have a BT faceplate with the built in microfilter. When i get home I'll try the master socket and let you know thank you.

Will I need to leave the router unplugged for 30 mins so the DLM doesn't think its an error? 

Community Team

Hi Vysey,

Ok thanks. No you shouldn't need to leave the router unplugged for 30 minutes.

Thanks

Vysey
Team Player

Hi Michelle! 

When I got home from work I unplugged the router from the master socket and waited 30 mins anyway to clear the session before plugging into the BT Mk3 faceplate test socket using an unused microfilter that was supplied with my router. 

Strangely my downstream speed has dropped by a further 2mbps to 45mbps but upload speed has increased slightly.

I realise it is still faster than my 36mbps guaranteed speed but it was connecting at 39.9mbps stable before the speed boost was applied and with the Fibre boost I was hoping it would get closer to the 52-55mbps mark (2mbps shy of the previous maximum of 57mbps.)

I'll see if this improves over the next 48 hours and post the results. 

Screenshot_20190319-144148_Chrome.jpg

Community Team

Hi Vysey

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you leave the router connected at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router, we can then check the connection stats again to see if the speed has increased any further.

Thanks

Debbie

Vysey
Team Player

Good morning! It's been nearly 48 hours but according to the router the sync speed is unchanged.

You've sent me a new Router which is being delivered today so when i get home I'll plug the new router in and wait another 48 hours then let you know if the sync speed increases with the new router 😊

Community Team

Hi Vysey

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Debbie

Vysey
Team Player

Hi Debbie

I plugged the new router in when I got home from work, I gave it 30+ minutes before switching it on to reset the session and unfortunately my connection speed has gotten worse.

I started off with a "maximum speed" of 57mbps download with 11.6mbps upload with an actual connection speed of 47mbps and 11.6mbps but with this new router, as you can see the sync speeds are a fair bit lower. My Fibre Boost is now only giving me an extra 2.8mbps download and 2mbps upload compared to the standard Fibre package.

Any idea why the connection speed keeps dropping? I've used all the new cables that came with the router too. The old router reported a max connection speed of 55-57mbps yet this one only shows 48mbps (which was almost what I was getting after the fibre boost at 47mbps).My upload speed is exactly at maximum which is great!

Thanks for your time, hopefully can get it sorted! 50+mbps would be nice 🙂.😄

NewSpeed.png

Community Team

Hi Vysey,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, are you using the new cables and microfilter that came with the new router? It can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to start makling changes to the sync speed. Could you keep the replacement router connected over the weekend and we can re-check the connection stats on Monday to see if there has been any improvement?

Thanks

Vysey
Team Player

Good morning Michelle, 

Yeah I'm using the new ADSL and power cable that came with the new router as for the microfilter I don't need to use this as I have a MK3 BT FTTC master socket.

No problem I'll keep the new router connected over the weekend to check on Monday but with the old router I never noticed an automatic improvement in sync speed. 

It's strange how my maximum sync speed has dropped from 57mbps to 48mbps too. There's no noise on the line when using the landline phone either so bit unusual. I'll bump the thread Monday with a screenshot of the connection stats, unfortunately the new router doesn't show detailed connection stats like the old one did. Thanks! 

Community Team
Vysey
Team Player

Good Morning!

It's now Monday and upon checking my router this morning there is no difference in sync speed. Is it possible for some reason that my connection has been banded to 22-44mbps for some reason? After the initial speed boost I was getting 48mbps with a maximum possible sync speed of 55 but now it's a lot lower.

Here is a screenshot of the current stats and a log of connection speeds over the weekend. Thanks in advance =]

NewSpeed2.png

DateTimeConnection TimeActual Line Rate D/LMaximum D/LActual Line Rate U/LMaxmum U/LNoise Margin D/LNoise Margin U/LAttenuation D/LAttenuation U/LPower D/LPower U/LComments
21/03/1917:15 41,93247,76111,19311,1930.006.0021.700.0013.706.80 
22/03/1913:40 41,93247,76110,98010,9800.006.0021.700.0013.706.80Overnight firmware update
23/03/1909:001D 7H 17M41,93247,76110,98010,9800.006.0021.700.0013.706.80 
24/03/1910:002D 8H 30M41,93247,76110,98010,9800.006.0021.700.0013.706.80 
25/03/1908:303D 6H 55M41,93247,76110,98010,9800.006.0021.700.0013.706.80 
Community Team

Hi Vysey,

Thanks for bumping your thread. Has the connection been unstable since this router has been connected as I can see re-connections on the line?

Thanks

Vysey
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

The connection has been stable since the new router was connected on Thursday. Also the last reconnection was caused by a firmware update to the new router early hours of the 22/03/19.

The only re-connections were caused by myself prior to installing the new router (with the old one after the Fibre boost was applied) by doing a reboot so not caused by a line instability.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Vysey

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can see how the speed compares in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Vysey
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

I connected the old router to the test socket last week and it resulted in the sync speed dropping further so don't think doing so with the new one would increase the speed, might even reduce it further. Is there any way to tell if there has been banding/capping applied to my line by the DLM?

My maximum connection speed was a lot higher than it currently is 2 weeks ago and originally after the Fibre Boost was applied increased to 48mpbs actual sync speed yet now it only connects at 41.9mbps.

Community Team

Hi Vysey

Thanks for your reply.

I've passed this over to our Network Team to take a look at the speed. I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Vysey
Team Player
Thanks Debbie, much appreciated. Hopefully can get the speed up to 50+mbps which would be about right with the speed boost based on my original maximum sync speed of 55mbps
Community Team

Hi Vysey

Our Network Team have requested that the profile is changed from stable to speed, to help increase the speed. This should take effect on 02/04/19.

Thanks

Debbie