Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre Speed drop?

15 REPLIES 15
SadMackem
Popular Poster

Trying to find out why my fibre speed has dropped to 43mbps since November, I have spoken to Live chat on three occasions (each time a different bod) gone through all the checks, had a new router delivered as they suspect that was the issue, have the new all singing and dancing one, ran a service status check (which is currently out of action) and it said I wasn’t getting the expected speed, package is the 56-76mbps with a boost so not even hitting the lowest expected speed now.

Looking at the router stats it says line up 2d 21hrs.... suspect the line is dropping out for whatever reason which I am guessing is why the router was swapped out in the first place....

Have checked the BT ASDL checker which states line should get between 62-80……….. any ideas as given up with the live chat as just going round in circles

SadMackem_0-1578874358066.png

Community Team

Hi SadMackem

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Can I just check, have you connected the router at the test socket for 48hrs? (without rebooting the router)

Thanks

Debbie

SadMackem
Popular Poster
We did it on my 2nd live chat but it isn't at the minute...... I was hitting 65 but like I say cannot fathom out why its dropped off
SadMackem
Popular Poster

SadMackem_0-1578929010958.png

Community Team

Hi SadMackem

Thanks for your reply.

If you have tested with a different router, cable and filter at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

SadMackem
Popular Poster

Thanks for your help Debbie, if that's the next step then can we arrange an engineer.......

cheers 

Community Team

Hi SadMackem

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Debbie

Community Team

Hi SadMackem

Thanks for the Private Message.

This will be a Openreach engineer visit and this has been arranged for 17/01/2020 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

SadMackem
Popular Poster

Will do 🙏

Community Team
SadMackem
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie.... just a quick update ...... the OpenReach lad came out and have to say he was really very helpful, he said the line should get a max of 80mbps, when he gave it a test he got about 48, he first swapped the master socket out, no change in speed, he then went out to the roadside cabinet which is only around the corner (300 metres away apparently by his measurements) that showed 80mbps, he then checked at the pole and it drops to the 45 mark, after spending all day on it he said there was excessive noise on the line and would return the following day to do more pd.

He came back and re-worked three joints and moved me onto a spare line on a different pole, this got the speed up to 56 which was the bottom range of what I'm paying for (I use to get mid 60's in November) and with that the lad closed the call off with Open Reach, cannot knock the lad for his efforts.

Sadly for me it has dropped again to the 45 mark 😣 so it looks like that is as good as I am going to get unless you can tweake something at your end...... or I'll have to wait for the 150mbps to arrive in my area

As my contract is coming up for renewal I will probably look at my options although haven't had any issues with Talk Talk......

Community Team

Hi SadMackem

I'm sorry to hear that the speed has dropped. Has the router been left switched on since the engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

SadMackem
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

yes it has been on 😣

SadMackem
Popular Poster

SadMackem_0-1579719766044.png

Debbie...... from this image it looks like its saying the line has only been up 18hrs...... is there any indication that the line is dropping off and if so does it give a time..... or is there a way to find this out in the router logs?

Community Team

Hi SadMackem,

Sorry for the delay. The line tests are still clear and I can only see 1 re-connection on the line over the last 3 days. Could you also run a wired speed test so we can see how this compares please. Have you made any changes to the equipment set up at all?

Thanks

SadMackem
Popular Poster

SadMackem_0-1579795347811.png

Hi Michelle/ Debbie .... nothing changed hardware side since Open Reach engineer visit, I cannot do the talk talk speedtest as keeps coming up with this message

SadMackem_1-1579795427826.png