Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre Uncapped Speeds

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi all,

I have a few questions about the speed caps on your fibre service.

A quick bit of history, a few years ago I was offered the faster (76Mbs at the time) fibre connection for a good price so I took it. I was getting sync speeds of about 65Mbs and was very happy with it. When I came to renew (just over a year ago), I was told I couldn't have that faster fibre option as my line didn't support it. I'd had a long day and didn't have time to argue so I saved myself a few quid and accepted the slower speeds. Unsurprisingly I've been syncing at about 40mbs ever since.

I had some connectivity issues when lockdown began and an Openreach engineer had a ferkle outside and cured the problems I was having. I was a little surprised to then be given another Openreach engineers appt to come into the house but I let them do their thing and he installed a brand new (my previous was over 10 years old!) master socket and tidied up the wiring. After he left, I still synced at 40mbs.

My wife works from home at the moment and there's an awful lot of TV streaming (mainly BBC iPlayer - thank you Bitesize and Octonauts!) so our connection gets a bit of a hammering. I was looking at my account to see when I could upgrade and see if I could convince the sales rep to upgrade me to faster fibre when I noticed my plan was called :

"Faster Fibre

Unlimited, uncapped speeds"

However, I'm syncing at a precise and consistent 40mbs which says to me I *am* being capped.

Now maybe I've misunderstood or there's some small print I've missed, but is there a way I can get an uncapped connection to the house?

Many thanks,

Ian

Highlighted
Philosopher

Faster Fibre is a maximum of 40 download, 10 upload.

With the boost, that goes to a maximum of 80/20, but only if your line will physically support the speed and that depends on how far you are from the cabinet.

If your minimum guaranteed speed is not WELL ABOVE 40, TT will no longer sell you the boost.

As you have already been told your line will not support the boost, you are stuck with what you have.

Martin
Highlighted
First Timer

Thank you Martin, that clears it up but just to confirm...

Uncapped faster fibre is capped at 40mbs.

Uncapped faster fibre with speed boost is capped at 80mbs.

As my minimum guaranteed speed is only 20.6mbs they won't let me buy the speed boost even though I've had it before and connected at 65mbs.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to have a think and a call around in Sept...

Highlighted
Philosopher

The only thing that is uncapped/unlimited is the amount of data, not the speeds.

Martin
Highlighted
First Timer

I appreciate your help and I understand you're not representing TalkTalk here (at least, I think you're not) so this isn't aimed at you, I was kind of hoping someone from TalkTalk would weigh in here but...

The package quite clearly says "Unlimited/uncapped Speeds" along with "Totally unlimited downloads". Unless there's some kind of tautology going on here; that's pretty clear.

I suspect the problem is I didn't do a degree in marketing.

It's a shame I'll never see my 7MB/s downloads again and somewhat frustrating given that I've seen them in the past sat behind the same computer connected to the same router in the same house but my contract is up in Sept and I recently purged by talktalk email addresses from all my accounts/logins so I'm good to go.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi XWRed5

Apologies for the delay.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi XWRed5

Thanks for the Private Message.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 40 and 30mb, with a guaranteed minimum speed of 25.2mb.

It appears that the speed boost can't be added due to the predicted speed range we have, apologies for this.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for looking at this for me.

I know what the predicted speed range is, I also know that the actual max speed is about 68mbs (I've lived here on the same connection for over 10 years) because I had it.

I had the speed boost for a while and it was great but suddenly someone changed my predicted speed range and I can no longer buy the speed boost. This is a Little Britain "Computer Says No" moment and it's incredibly frustrating.

How can I get the predicted speed range changed? I know the connection will go higher because I've done it, I just need someone to type the right number into a computer.

Equally, if TalkTalk is so confident I won't get any higher speeds, why don't they just uncap my line for free, their data suggests I won't get any higher than what I connect at now so their network won't be affected, right? 😊

Many thanks,

Ian

Highlighted

Hi Ian

Apologies for this.

We are unable to remove the cap or change the speed range. I can raise a complaint so this can be discussed with a complaints manager and they may be able to look into this further. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Yes please,

Thank you Debbie.

Highlighted

Hi Ian

I have passed this over to the team and a complaints manager will contact you to discuss this further.

Thanks

Debbie