Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre boost

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Ive taken up the £2.50 fibre speed boost but I'm not getting anywhere near the promised speed.

The upgrade happened sometime Thursday morning.

Prior to this, I was getting 39-40 on the faster fibre plan, which based on our location from the cabinet, was pretty good. I was therefore hoping to see something similar with the boost, ie, towards the higher end of the promised speed range.. tests are coming back at around 49mbs so quite a lot less than I had hoped.

I have turned the router (I have the latest TalkTalk wifi hub) off for the recommended 30 mins twice, but don't want to do this too often as I believe it can cause DLM to play up and actually reduce the speed.

My question is.. Does it take time for the speeds to start improving? (given that my previous package was delivering near the top end of the scale via the same equipment)..

Many thanks.

Highlighted
Philosopher

Your speed is mostly determined by the length of your copper line to the cabinet.

What speed range were you given when you upgraded ?

Martin
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks for your response Martin.

The suggested speed in the upgrade was 59-80.

Thanks..

Highlighted
Community Star

You say “tests” are these wired, or wireless? What is the sync rate as shown on your router?

Highlighted
Participant

I too took up this offer and went live on the 9th May. I turned my router off over night and when I turned it back on ran a speed test and was getting 74mbps dl. However within 20 minutes this had dropped back down to 14-20 mbps where it has stayed ever since.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi dracer,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see a few re-connections. Just to confirm, are you rebooting/switching off the router?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Astrohurricane,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle

That's worrying, I had done the recommended turn off a couple of times after I was aware that the service was 'live' but definitely not done any more as I am aware that this in itself can cause a problem. 

I haven't run a test since Saturday but each one I had tried, was only getting me a max of 49 to 50 mbs and I was expecting better.

What do you think the issue could be?

many thanks..

Highlighted

Hi dracer

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you leave the router connected at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router. We can then check the connection stats again to see if there are any further re connections showing on the line.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

My phone is plugged into an older style BT socket. ie, it has a face plate with a single outlet which connects to the phone via a microfilter. I unscrewed the plate and this has a plug built into it at the back which then plugs into a socket which is integral to the connection box, if that makes sense?

I have taken the faceplat off and in doing so, my broadband connection was lost (until I plugged it back in).

Anyway, Ive run a couple more speed tests and its crept up slightly to 52mbs, still a lot lower than I had expected. My question at this stage however, are you able to check whether there have been any further disconnections (apart from the one I referred to here)?

Will the speed improve any further as the exchange manages the connection in the coming days?

Many thanks

Highlighted

Hi dracer

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

IMG_20190518_115101814.jpg

Highlighted

Hi dracer,

When you removed the faceplate the socket underneath that the faceplate plugged into is the test socket. Is this the only telephone socket in the house or do you have other extension sockets?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

Yes, the faceplate connects into another socket via a male connector mounted on the back of the plate.

There are 2 extensions wired into the box behind the faceplate; 

One goes to a sky box (I never have anything plugged in here but it works ok with a landline when I test it).

Another wire goes to a wall socket (into which I have a further microfilter plugged in) with the cable to the router attached.

Many thanks.

Highlighted

Hi dracer

If you remove the faceplate are you able to connect a microfilter to the test port under the faceplate?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

I hooked up my laptop via the mastersocket this evening.

In the router dashboard, it give a connected download reading of 68.9mbps & upload of 20mbps

I ran a few tests and these averaged around 59.9 DL & 18.1 UL

I then went back to my main PC and hooked up again

Router dashboard said 55.6 DL and 16.4 UL

Tests averaged 51DL & 15UL.

Still not as fast as I had hoped after adding the boost.

Highlighted

So just to confirm, 68.9Mbps was with the router connected to the test socket, and 55.6Mbps was with router connected to the extension socket?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris, yes, that's correct.. these were the 2 sets of readings in the 'dashboard' of the actual router, the tests (which I assume relate to the speed that would apply to streaming/downloading etc) were lower than these readings.

Thanks

Highlighted

This really indicates that there is an issue with the extension wiring if the sync speed is so much lower.

When you connected the router to the test socket did you have anything else connected in addition to your router?

With the router connected to extension socket do you have any other devices connected to your telephone sockets?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Chris,

Yes, that correct.

I have ordered a faceplate splitter and will move my router to our hallway, near the main socket to do away with the extension. Will update once this is fitted. Thanks