would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre only getting 13mbps

26 REPLIES 26
StimpUK
Participant

Hello,

I went live nearly 2 weeks ago and have only had around 13mbps on speed tests since day 1 despite guaranteed a speed of 30-40mbps.

My router is connected directly to the master socket via a prefiltered socket I have tried connecting my laptop via ethernet with nothing else connected and still only get around 13mbps.

My parents who live round the corner, are on TalkTalk and get the guaranteed speed.

I have tried borrowing their router to see if mine had a problem but that didn't make a difference.

I have been on the live chat and had tests run but no faults have yet been found.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try next.

Thanks

Divsec
Community Star

Hi @StimpUK welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear back on Monday. In the meantime try a 30 minute reboot. Power down and restart 30 minutes later. This can frequently resolve the issue.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
StimpUK
Participant
Thank you
I have tried this but will try it again.
Look forward to hearing back on Monday.
StimpUK
Participant
I tried the 30 minute reboot again but it hasn't resolved the issue.
I tried carrying out a large download and noticed that the download speed would fluctuate wildly between around 1mbps to up to around 30mbps.

I should also point out that I bought a landline phone to test for interference on the line but didn't experience any crackling when using it to make a call.

Thanks
Community Team

Hi StimpUK,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Could you run another wired speed test with no other devices connected to the line please using the TalkTalk Speed Tester. Can you also run a wired ping and trace route and post the results into the thread.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

StimpUK
Participant

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Please see below for test results:

speed.PNG

Pinging google.co.uk [172.217.169.35] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.217.169.35: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.169.35: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.169.35: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.169.35: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 172.217.169.35:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 13ms

Tracing route to google.co.uk [172.217.169.35]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms 5 ms ttrouter [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 13 ms 12 ms 16 ms ae50-ner001.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.1]
4 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms ae50-scr101.thw.as13285.net [78.144.1.0]
5 14 ms 13 ms 14 ms 72.14.209.10
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 13 ms 13 ms 19 ms 172.253.65.208
8 13 ms 13 ms 14 ms 108.170.246.143
9 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 216.239.58.3
10 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms 216.239.59.76
11 15 ms 15 ms 14 ms 74.125.242.97
12 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms 172.253.66.89
13 13 ms 14 ms 14 ms lhr48s08-in-f3.1e100.net [172.217.169.35]

Community Team

Hi StimpUK

Thanks for your reply.

The pings and traces look ok. Is the throughput speed (speed test results) the same at different times of the day?

Your line is in sync at just under 40mb.

Please can you try another 30 minute power down of the router and then run a speed test? It may be worth arranging a TalkTalk engineer visit to complete further investigations if the speed doesn't increase.

Thanks

Debbie

StimpUK
Participant

Hi Debbie

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, I have tried speedtests at different times of day and on different devices and can't get it to go over 13mbps.

I have tried the 30 minute power down quite a few times too.

Yes, I think it might be time to call in the engineer 🙂

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi Chris

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange a TalkTalk engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Chris,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

Community Team

Hi Chris

Thanks for the PM. In answer to your question, the line profile can cap your sync speed but this isn't the cause of the issue here as your sync speed is 37Mbps. I can't see any reason why your throughput speeds should be so low and consitently around 13Mbps

Could you try another speed test with every device in your home that connects to the internet switch off accept the device that you're running the speed test on

Thanks

Chris

StimpUK
Participant

Thanks, Chris

I will try that tonight.

Chris

Community Team

Hi StimpUK,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

StimpUK
Participant

Alas, no joy 😞

Community Team

Hi 

Can you check your landline and see if there is any interference/noise when making a call. 

StimpUK
Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I bought a phone just to test this and there is no interference or crackling when making calls.

Community Team

Hi StimpUK,

Thanks for trying that.

I've passed this back to our network team, if you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread again tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi StimpUK,

Our network team have advised to arrange another TalkTalk engineer visit to check your setup as they can't see any reason for the slow throughput speed, if you'd like us to arrange this please let us know.

Chris

StimpUK
Participant

Hi Chris

Thanks but my setup is fine, if I was getting varying speeds I could understand that it may be my setup but I get the same speed every time I run a speedtest under optimal conditions (wired connection, no other devices connected). It has never gone over 13mbps.

Also, as the router performs perfectly when setup on someone elses line with the same cables (ethernet/power/RJ11) I can't see how my setup could possibly be the problem here.

So, thanks but I'll make do for now.

StimpUK
Participant

I did a bit of Googling and found someone with the same problem and it turned out to be a "misaligned virtual path profile" but apparently this information isn't available to first line support and he ended up having to email the CEO to get it fixed.

Could you maybe pass this up the chain for me? it would be nice to get this escalated rather than getting stuck in an infinite loop.

Thanks