would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre slower than old ordinary connection

9 REPLIES 9
John30444
Conversation Starter

Hi,

I've been paying for "Faster Fibre" since last Spring and for much of that time have received broadband at download speeds of between 26 and 36Mb/s. My old broadband speed was 8.5 Mb/s. So happy days..............until about two weeks ago.

Now my "Faster Fibre" runs between 3.4 and 7 Mb/s , according to two different independent broadband checks.

However, TalkTalk's line/router checker states that, "Your connection speed and router are working well and broadband speed is 40Mb/s.

Who to believe??  Before I decide, I have to consider the following facts.

The fibre cable is connected to a GPO green box less than half a mile from my house,BUT the line to all the houses on my estate is made up of aluminium wire (definitely NOT copper!) , which is 52 years old and in many places has been reduced to a dust like substance.  (I know this because I've watched the Open Reach man replace aluminium wire with a copper wire in the line to our house )  Open Reach visit and "repair" the aluminium wire at least once a week and sometimes there are two of their vans operating in different parts of the estate at the same time!  I estimate that by 2060 the aluminium wire on our estate should be completely replaced by copper, but at 75 years old, I do not think I'll be around to witness this milestone in British technology.  I live in the affluent SEI 

I have a Sagemcom-Fast 5364 router which was installed when I "upgraded to "Faster Fibre".

I realize that this is not TalkTalk's fault, but is there any way that the company could persuade Open Reach to bite the bullet and replace the aluminium dust with copper cable? I know that full fibre is only going to disadvantaged areas and I'm an idle "wealthy" pensioner, but on behalf of my two neighbours who are trying to run businesses from home, may I plead for help in this matter?

John Calton
KeithFrench
Community Star

Aluminium is nowhere near as good as copper, that is true, but unless Openreach has plans to change that, there is nothing any ISP can do about it. However, it sounds like your speed is where it should be. To get the facts & then it can be looked into for you, please can you follow what I have outlined below?

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi John30444

Apologies for the delay.

I have completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 40mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

John30444
Conversation Starter

Dear Keith,

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

A knowledgeable friend came down to help me and before I received your suggestions, this is what we did.

We disconnected the two wifi extenders and just left the router (Sagemcom-Fast5364) and two original TalkTalk wired extenders connected. (I had previously disconnected everything for over 2 hrs )

The speed ranged from 15Mb/s to us not being able to get onto the Internet. My main computer then decided to switch from "Home"  to "Public" network, all by itself. It's done it before, so it's not Halloween!

I am going to monitor the present setup until the weekend and then, if there is no consistent improvement, I'll attempt to follow your instructions.

By the way, I checked the speed at 11.45 hrs and I was getting 36 Mb/s.

I will let you know how it pans out.

John

John Calton
John30444
Conversation Starter

Dear Debbie,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Please see my reply to Keith, which will cover the actions I've taken.

I'll let you know how things go after the weekend.

Best wishes,

John

John Calton
Community Team

Hi John,

Ok thank you for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

John30444
Conversation Starter

Dear Debbie and Keith,

Here is the the update promised.

After removing the wifi extenders I  used the independent broadband speed checker for approx one week, at most times, day and during the night.  The download speeds were between 32 and 36 Mb/s and upload speeds between 6 and 7 Mb/s.

Satisfied with those, I re-attached the wifi extenders and since last Thurs.  the download speeds have been between 31 and37Mb/s , with upload speeds of 7 Mb/s.

The 31 Mb/s today was probably due to the fact that it has rained. Telephones and broadband here are always affected by rain and snow in this privileged area of the SE, with telephone lines made up of aluminium dust!

Hopefully BT might change its inverted snobbery policy and realize how much its damaging the UK economy, by only serving poor and remote areas!!  Although, at 75, I do not believe I'll be around to see common sense prevail.

Suffice it to say, thank goodness for TalkTalk and its supporters on the forum. 

You have my heartfelt gratitude.

Very best wishes,

John

John Calton
Community Team

Hi John,

Thanks for keeping us updated and I'm glad to hear that the speeds have remained consistent 🙂 Have you noticed any noise on the line when it rains?

Thanks

John30444
Conversation Starter
Dear Michelle,
Yes we do get noise on the phone when it rains. Not so much after BT, as it was then, disconnected one of our aluminium cables, about 20 years ago and reconnected us to our second (and last) house line. We have been living on tender hooks ever since and long for the time Open Reach will replace our lines with copper.
Best wishes,
John
John Calton
Community Team

Hi John

Thanks for keeping us updated.

If the noise on the line does become more frequent or the speed drops again then please let us know and we will look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie