Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre - terrible performance

49 REPLIES 49
UnclePunch
Team Player

For nearly a week or two now I've had yoyoing internet speeds. They are constantly going up and down from as high 28mbs to as low as 0.5mbs! (My average should be 60mbs+ range) Streaming things and gaming is nigh on impossible and the support I've had from the live team thus far has not inspired me with confidence. I was intitially told that they would look into their lines and should they not be able to sort it that an engineer would be booked to visit my home. When it came about that an engineer needed to visit, they didn't turn up! Since then I am apparently on a managerial investigation and have been told nothing about what is actually going on. The only thing I do know is that I'm scheduled to have planned contact on the 21st December. 

Resetting the router only allows a decent speed for a short time before it starts fluctuating again. Everything is wired beyond my phone, which is using the wi-fi, with only my PS4 going through a Powerline adapter. And the router is connected directly to the master socket. The model of the router is Huawei HG633.

Community Team

Hi UnclePunch,

I'm really sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential voice fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as no dial tone or any noise on the line?

Thanks

TerryLewisDr
First Timer

Hello Michelle,

Having the same issue with the speed. I have not tested it yet though. I had to finish my webinar just after I started from the Introduction part (managed to say only a couple of words).

How can I test the speed and how to report the issue so that I could have it checked by an engineer?

Thank you,

Terry Lewis

Sam Knows Whitebox on the waiting list status on Our-latest-Blog
Community Team

Hi TerryLewisDr,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

UnclePunch
Team Player
I don't have a phone, so never use that part of the line. It was stable for an hour or so Monday (although still much slower than what I'm paying for) and then has been up and down as before. Have been told it's a problem that Openreach are looking into but I have no details other than scheduled contact this Friday.
Community Team

Hi,

Is it possible to borrow a handset from a friend or neighbour for 2 minutes to confirm if you have a dial tone, and see if the line is clear or noisy, so this can be logged correctly to Openreach.

If a fault is raised with incorrect details it may delay any resolution or be passed to the wrong type of engineer.

Thanks

Karl.

UnclePunch
Team Player
I will try a handset tomorrow and report back.
Community Team

Ok please let us know as soon as you can.

Thanks

Karl. 

UnclePunch
Team Player

I'm getting no dial tone at all. Tested just now.

Community Team

Hi

I've passed this to Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl. 

UnclePunch
Team Player

Thank you.

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Check back in 24hrs and we can chase for any updates for you.

Karl

UnclePunch
Team Player

Any news regarding this?

Community Team

Hi

This is still in hand with Openreach and they are currently investigating.

Thanks

Karl. 

UnclePunch
Team Player

Hey there,

Chiming in with some news. Download appears much better at 50mbs during the day, but the service slows some time after 7pm to between as little as 9 and 12mbs. However the upload has increased in my recent check from 5mbs in the day to as high as 15mbs just now. Functional unlike before, but wondering if maintenance is still taking place on my lines.

Best regards.

Community Team

Hi UnclePunch,

I've re-checked the connection stats and although the line test is still detecting a potential fault, the sync speed has increased. Just to confirm, when you're experiencing the slow speeds at peak times does this affect wired and wireless speeds?

Are you still experiencing no dial tone at the moment?

Thanks

UnclePunch
Team Player
It seems to affect both wired and wireless.

I haven't checked for a dial tone since tbh. I can check again.
Community Team

Hi UnclePunch,

Ok thanks for confirming. Would you mind checking the voice service again so we can rule this out and focus on the broadband connection?

Thanks

UnclePunch
Team Player
I can won't be until tomorrow though. Shall post back then.
Community Team

Hi UnclePunch,

Ok yes please. If the voice service is now working ok then we can look at the slow speeds at peak times.

Thanks