Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre unlimited intermittent dropping off and now slow speed

23 REPLIES 23
Team Player

Hello,

Our Faster Fibre which is is supposed to be 38M speed has been intermittently dropping off recently, the router lights start flashing and then the one turns red, then they go green and in that period we lost internet connectivity.  Also right now my current download speed tested with ookla is showing as 1.89M.  When I connect to someone using Talk Talk online chat, it then seems to work fine!

Just wondering what is going on?

Thanks

Sandy

Sandy Sutherland, Pipeline Supervisor at a High Profile Animation Company.
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SandyS,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Thanks

Team Player

Hi Thanks for the replies,

I did make use of the chat function last night to chat to someone from Talk Talk and they have logged the issue.  There was an engineer here today from openreach and he looked at the phone ports, which the engineer that installed the TV box had looked at previously.

There is no noise on the line, but the speed is better this evening, I just tested with the Talk Talk speed test and got 29.7M.

Thanks for the help - 

Cheers

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the speeds compare over the weekend 🙂

Thanks

Team Player

Hi All,

Since the problem, and oipen reach engineer came and checked the socket in the house.  However the speed seems to have settled between 26.7M to 28.6 +-.

We have  ahouse move booked with Talk Talk happening this weekend, so have not worried about it because of that.  Will see what I get in the new location, hopefully it is fully up to speed again.

Thanks for all in the inputs - 

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

Team Player

HI All,

Quick update - move completed and internet is up with what seems to be decent speed - got about 33M earlier.

I was sent a new WiFi Hub and had set that up initially and got the white light, but when I connect via WiFi I get the no internet message and no internet connection. I tested connecting to 192.168.1.1 and it does not resolve it or find it and then tried with ethernet connection to the back of my laptop with the same result.  So reverted to the original Router that I had previously and this connected fine, so up and running - but new WiFi hub is not working so wondering what I should do about that?  Would like to get a new Hub working if possible as it does look more robust than the other one?

Some info on how to report the bad WiFi hub would be most appreciated?

Thanks for all the help

Cheers

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, have you tried factory resetting the router and then retesting this again?

Thanks

Team Player

Hi,

I did consider that previously, but was concerned that there might be talk talk specific domain settings that it might get rid of. However did some more research and saw that it was recommended to try, so I did it yesterday and now can get logged in on 192.168.1.1 fine, but still get no Internet despite the white light. Is there anything I can try once logged in as admin?

Many thanks

Sandy

@OCE_Michelle wrote:

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, have you tried factory resetting the router and then retesting this again?

Thanks

Team Player

OK - update,

Thought that as I was up before anyone else in the house, I would plug in the new router and login to it through 192.168.1.1 admin and check out the settings to see if there was anything obvious from what was being posted online and it now connected up and no longer gave no internet error - it has now connected, so I guess the reset did set it right, just needed a bit more time.

Thanks for all the help and apologies for the router false flag.

Cheers

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

Team Player

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but not sure where to go with this.

We moved house, the internet was fine for a week or so, then started dropping off so I contacted the chat help about it, and they basically told me they could send someone around to look at it, but that if they found absolutely anything wrong they would charge for it. 

1. It worked fine for a week

2. I then once I had been threatened with being charged, looked into it myself, changed the filter supplied by Talk Talk for a Sky filter and have had rock solid internet for about nearly  2 months.

3. Now it started dropping off again and cherry on the cake, this evening my Daughter had arranged an online course to study for applying to University and it did it again.  It is now after the fact connected and seems to be happy!

4. It is not my connection as then it would be dropping off or not work at all, all the time, I have done nothing this evening except walk through the door to fix it, but now it works!

I am fed up with this, so I want to know what my rights are with changing provider?

Hi SandyS

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Please can you update your Community Profile to include your new telephone number, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Hi Debbie - thanks for the reply, the phone number was transferred, so stayed the same.

Regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line.

Is the router connected at the test socket? I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Hi Debbie,

There is only one socket I can use, apparently the other one is a Virgin connection.  

I am not sure what to suggest as I mentioned the connection was bad after a week post move, then I changed the filter and it has been rock solid, then a few days ago started again so I changed to another filter and it is very intermittent, can be solid for the day then in the evening drop off several times, then solid again.

I am open to you recommendations.

Thanks

Sandy

Hi Sandy

Thanks for your reply.

I think we should send a replacement router for testing, this will rule out any possible equipment issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Team Player

Hi Debbie,

If the router was faulty, why would it work fine for long periods and then start dropping connection, before once more connecting fine for a while? I am happy to try another router to see however.

Thanks

Regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy

The router can become faulty at anytime so it's best to rule this out as the line tests are not detecting any faults.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie