would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Speed Boost Not Activated

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Participant

Hi

My faster broadband went live yesterday but my 24 month free fibre speed boost does not seem to be activated as the speeds I am getting on my new TalkTalk wifi hub (Sagemcom Fast 5364) are 38.5 Mb Downstream and 9.4Mb Upstream. Which is slightly lower than the 40Mb / 10Mb I was getting previously from Plusnet Standard Fibre.

When I look in 'My Account' there is no mention of any speed boost nor an offer to add it, however it is listed on my first bill produced today.

I had an online chat with the Technical Team earlier this afternoon who tested the line, said there was no fault and as it was currently above the minimum guaranteed speed of 35.4Mb there was nothing to be done.

The estimated speeds at the time of my order were 42.2 Mb to 64.5 Mb Download and 11.7 Mb to 18.9 Mb Upload and the BT DSL Checker showed even better speeds were possible.

Having researched previous posts and knowing what the line should be capable of, I am convinced that the problem is possibly a case of the speed boost not 'actually' being activated. Why else would it not show up in 'My Account'?

Please can you investigate this for me and, if as suspected, arrange to activate the speed boost as soon as possible.

Thank You

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @CPP64 your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during Monday. In the meantime try rebooting your router. (once) 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi CPP64,

I can confirm that the boost is active, your current sync speed is 45.0Mbps (you're sync speed would be 40Mbps max, if the speed boost hadn't taken effect)

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Chris and thank you for your reply.

The router is currently connected directly into the master test socket with a new micro filter. The telephone is now disconnected and there are no other telephone sockets.

45MB sync came up yesterday and is what I am seeing on the router now. This doesn't however explain how the upload sync is still below 10 (currently 9.8Mb) nor why there is no fibre boost showing in 'My Account'. While 45Mb is certainly better than a few days ago it is still well short of even the mid point of the estimated range given at the time of order.

I have just checked my connection status via 'My Account' and it says 'We are working on your fault' and doesn't give me any stats?? I wasn't aware there was a physical fault.

Please advise.

Highlighted
Participant
Bump
Highlighted
Participant

24 hours later and nothing has changed. Sync speeds are the same. My Account still says 'We are working on your fault??' and no mention of a speed boost.

I want to give TalkTalk the chance to resolve this quickly but its looking increasingly likely that I will need to utilise the '30 day great connection guarantee' and move to another provider in due course as this is certainly not the Superfast broadband I have been duped into.

Highlighted

Hi CPP64

Apologies for the delay.

The sync speed is now showing as 44.9mb

Thanks for confirming that the router is at the test socket. Has the router been connected there for at least 48hrs without being rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie and thank you for your reply.

We moved the router yesterday to plug it into the test socket and as a result we accidentally switched it off last night for a few hours! So to answer your question, no it hasn't been on for a solid 48 hours yet.

It's still in the test socket and the line sounds clear to me with a corded handset temporarily connected to test for any noise.

I don't know what the current fault status is. Is there a fault on the line? I doubt it, to be getting the speeds we have done so far.

Will the sync speeds increase by themselves over the coming days or will the profile need to be reset first to allow up to 80 / 20?

When and where would the boost show up in 'My Account'?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi CPP64

Thanks for your reply.

The fibre speed boost is active as the line is in sync at 44mb. If the boost was not active then the line would be in sync at 40mb max.

Would it be ok to leave the router at the test socket now without rebooting and I can check the connection stats again on Friday to see if DLM has made any changes to the line profile/speed.

The line test is not detecting any faults.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie

Yes lets see what the stats are on Friday. As neither of us suspect a fault with the line, perhaps the ‘open’ fault on your systems (whatever it is?) needs closing?

I still don’t understand why the upload sync is keeping below 10 or why the boost doesn’t show up in my account?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi CPP64

Thanks for your reply. 

I will post back on this thread on Friday.

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Sync speeds much the same this morning. 45Mb downstream and 9.7Mb upstream. Been powered up continually on the test socket etc and still nothing showing about the boost in 'My Account'.

Can see lots of threads with similar theme about the boost seemingly not working / applied.

I was getting the full 40 / 10 Mb with Plusnet previously so the fact that the upstream is staying below 10Mb still leads me to believe that something hasn't been set up correctly.

Please advise.

Highlighted

Hi CPP64,

Thanks for trying this. I've run a few tests on the line which haven't detected a fault and the profile isn't limiting the speed. Would it be possible to keep the router connected in the same set up over the weekend as it can take DLM up to 10 days to fully optimise the connection based upon the stability and any errors on the line?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Quick update.

Still using test socket as requested and this morning router syncs showing as 47.4 and 12.6 so finally got the upload above 10 so boost must be working now, however 'My Account' still makes no mention of it.

As my service went live 27th Feb (11 days ago) is this the fastest that DLM will allow now or is there still room for further speed increases?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi CPP64,

Thanks for the update. If the router has been connected at the test socket for 10 days then this is most likely the best speeds for the line, it's possible that it may increase a bit further. How have you found the overall performance of the connection?

Thanks