cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster fibre dropouts back again

Community Team

Hi hareand,

We can send you a D-Link DSL3782, would you like us to arrange this?

Chris

hareand
Wizz Kid

Yes please, Chris

Thanks

Community Team

I've ordered the router, should be with you within a couple of working days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery 

Chris

hareand
Wizz Kid

Great, thanks Chris.

Community Team
Highlighted
hareand
Wizz Kid

Hi

The router has arrived promptly, thank you for that.  It's connected and I will look for the disconnection issues tomorrow.  But a quick observation is that the download speed is lower than the HG635 router (42Mbps compared to 49Mbps) - isn't that low, given that we're on faster fibre with the speed boost?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi hareand

Please can you leave the replacement router connected for at least 48hrs whilst DLM is monitoring the connection with the router connected.

Thanks

Debbie

hareand
Wizz Kid

Will do, thanks Debbie

Community Team
hareand
Wizz Kid

Hi - unfortunately, with the new router today I've had at least 3 instances of my laptop connected over wifi being kicked out of the work VPN connection when a phone call was hung up.  This happened both with hanging up on a wireless and landline phone.  The VPN can be reconnected by disconnecting the laptop computer from the wifi and reconnecting again.  The Google Home device also disconnected at least twice.

Coincidentally, an attempt was made to send a Facebook messsage from a computer connected to the router by cable and this failed just after a hung up phone call, although the wifi network seemed to be active.

Hope this helps diagnose the issue - changing to this router hasn't fixed the problem.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi hareand,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, are you using all the new cables and microfilter that came with the replacement router?

Thanks

hareand
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle

No, I can try that this evening if you think it will help, but when fibre was installed we got a pre filtered socket, according to this article we don't need microfilters https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-master-sockets/ta-p/2205432

By the way the speed test is still low (upload has got slower).  Not sure if it helps diagnosis but this morning I connected a new phone and we lost internet completely for a minute or two.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi hareand,

If the master socket does have a test socket then it would be worth testing the microfilter and router directly at the test socket to rule out any issues with the faceplate or internal wiring.

Thanks

hareand
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie - here are the test results...things have gotten much worse!  This is with the new cables, as you instructed.

I tested the download/upload speeds:

New D-Link router 12.4/11.3

Old HG 635 router 17.6/9.6 (no other change than switching routers)

Both results are much worse than the speed previously, around 50.  I used the online checker and there don't appear to be any issues with the network tonight.

I connected the new router to the test socket with the microfilter and the results were as above i.e. 11 or 12 download speed.  This was similar over wifi and connected by cable.  What's more, we tested the phone with the router connected to the test socket.  Hanging up caused the internet to go down (red light on router).

To check the phone isn't causing the issue, I unplugged it from the phone socket - this caused the broadband and internet lights to go out on the router.  They returned after a minute or so.  The download/upload results were as bad as with the phone connected.  FYI, the "Link rate" in the router admin application is showing 11494/44023 Kbps.

Any thoughts?  It's disappointing that the performance this evening was so much worse than when we started, after all the tests etc so far.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks

hareand
Wizz Kid
PS I've also tested the speed with a laptop over wifi - similar results.
hareand
Wizz Kid
PPS Link rate on router admin ow showing 12287/13372 Kbps
Community Team

Hi hareand,

Thanks for the update and thanks for testing the router at the test socket. I've re-run the line test which is now clear, however the sync speed does look low. Just to confirm, is the connection stable if the phone is disconnected from the line? Is the phone connected at the moment?

If you call your landline with no phone connected does the connection still drop?

Thanks

hareand
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle

The phone was connected when you asked about it.  With no phone connected, the landline just rings on the calling phone and when hung up does nothing.

We've done a lot of testing this morning and I suspect an issue with the broadband filter on the wireless landline phone.  I've put one from the router you sent and so far the connection has been stable when answering and hanging up.  Is it possible that was causing the problem?

The speed is still very low, 12 mbps.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi hareand,

Thanks for confirming this. If the microfilter was causing the connection to drop when the phone was in use then this can affect the broadband speed as DLM will lower the speed to try and stabilise the connection. Is the router still connected to the test socket?

If the connection now remains stable then DLM should start to increase the sync speed. If there is no improvement in speed by Thursday then please let us know and we can pass this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

hareand
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle

The router is now connected to the normal BT box.  There is a phone connected to the other socket on that box.  There is a wireless phone base station connected to a different phone socket.  That base station now has one of the new microfilters between the base station and the phone socket.  Let me know if that's not as it should be.  Otherwise we'll wait to see if the speed issue resolves itself.

Thanks for your help.