Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster fibre sowed

ANSWERED
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

We are on faster fibre 30 to 35mpbh. Only getting 22 sometimes less. There is nothing wrong in the house there is a problem between fibre a d house. Have had engineer check before. Still not changing. Anyone with help.

Not an expert at much just like to learn about as many things as I can
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi silverbird63

I'm sorry to hear this.

Your line is showing in sync at 35mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Solution

Hi Debbie

We checked today as requested we got 32.6 download 8.6 upload.

Our concern is checker talktalk showing orange light query problem between house and exchange. We lost internet altogether 2 times recently. Any idea why?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi silverbird63,

I can see two disconnections on the 28th, nothing since. Sorry, I don't know what the cause of the disconnections was, how has it been since?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

We lost internet access on 2 separate days and phone in 1 of those days. We switched off as requested by Debbie yesterday but other than that ok. It does seem to drop speed from time to time?

Thanks

Highlighted

OK thanks. Could you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check to see how it's been over the last 24 hours

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Sorry not savvy with IT stuff what is bump the thread? Does it mean check in tomorrow morning 😬

Thanks

Highlighted

Sorry, yes, just means to post again on thread and this pulls it back in to our work queue 🙂

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris seems ok last 24hrs. 

Thanks for your help

Highlighted

That's great, thanks for letting me know. Could you bump the thread again tomorrow and we'll see how you're getting on

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris as requested. Cannot get talktalk speed test so used another. It was 28.53 download and 7.5 upload. What do you think?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi silverbird63,

Thanks for the update, 28.53 is in the range that we'd expect for your sync speed, how has it been over the weekend?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks Chris for taking time to help us. To be honest haven't checked over weekend but no loss of connection. What range should we expect? Save us bothering you.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi silverbird63,

For a sync speed of 35Mbps we usually expect throughput speeds of around 28Mbps to 31Mbps but it can vary a bit from this. Your sync speed is a bit low though but this may improve if the connection is now stable (DLM should move you to a faster profile if the connection is stable with a low error count)

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Oh very technical but I trust you Lol 😂. Actually the internet just went off before but came back on within 5 mins. We do find when using laptop the connection is less stable.why ?

Cheers Chris

Highlighted

Sorry, it could have been me running the line test that caused the disconnection 

Not sure why the connection would be less stable on your laptop, is it connected by wifi to your router, or Ethernet cable?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks the laptop is connected laptop. Shouldn't have to use Ethernet should we? The laptop is windows 10 wifi compatible.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi

Wifi can have it's own issues based on any localised interference, the speed of the adapter in a device etc, so a wired speed test will always give more accurate results. 

If the TalkTalk speed test is not working for you, the most accurate alternative is Sam Knows Speed Test

All speed tests will give a slightly different result because of their location, server load and network traffic etc, so never be worried that the results are not all the same, as long as they are not greatly different all should be ok.

If you do see issues over wifi specifically, then you can try the following advice :

Log into the router and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  

Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

There are apps you can download that can show the wireless channels in use.  For example I use WiFi analyser for Android to show the wifi channels in use around me and this allows me to set the least congested channel.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES