would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster fibre speed drops and rises same times every day

9 REPLIES 9
onslow
Chatterbox

G'day

I would be grateful for any advice or assistance on this matter as I'm old and not the sharpest tool in the box  re technology.

I've been on Faster Fibre  for over a year  and all was fine with 25/30Mbps download speed until the last month or so around Xmas time.

Since then there has been significant drop in download speed at 'peak' usage times when the speed is woeful.

I have carried out regular speed checks over last 7 days (8/10 checks daily) with the following results

0630 - 0830 hrs ------- 6 to 9 Mbps ( Peak)

0830 - 1200 hrs -------- not checked

1200 -1900 hrs -------- 20 to 25 Mbps ( Off peak)

1900 - 2300 hrs -------- 3 to 10 Mbps  ( Peak)

2300 - 0630 hrs--------- not checked

Used both cable and wifi for checks with little difference between method. (HGG533 supplied for faster fibre by TT)

Download speeds alter without any rebooting or system alterations and happen every day at same time.

I supplied this info to TT Chat yesterday. They checked line and found nothing wrong recommending an engineer visit.

I am now getting slower download speeds at peak times than I was receiving prior to changing to faster fibre.

As 20/25 Mbps is stable over a 7 hour midday period each day I suspect heavier line usage at 'peak' times for loss of speed.

What should my next step be. Is an engineer visit really necessary and would I be charged.

Can the speed not be increased at the 'peak' times by Open Reach to fix the problem on the speed check evidence supplied.

I had difficult times with TT about ten years ago and don't want to go through similar times again. I'm too old for all that especially as my Virgin neighbours get stable much faster speeds and never stop telling me about it.

Grateful for advice

Onslow

DAVID MORRIS
KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

onslow
Chatterbox

Thank you for getting the ball rolling Keith.

Much obiged.

David

DAVID MORRIS
Community Team

Hi onslow 

Apologies for this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 40mb.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

onslow
Chatterbox

Thanks Debbie.

Can you briefly explain what in sync at 40mb is.

Is it download speed of 40mbps?

Todays checks 0700 ---- 9mbps

1315 ---- 9mbps then 18mbps

I look forward to trying the replacement and hope it solves the problem.

Best regards

Onslow

DAVID MORRIS
Community Team

Hi onslow 

Your sync speed, also known as your access line speed, is the maximum speed at which your router can connect to the internet. Download sync speed is showing as 40mb.

Your speed tests shows throughput speed. Your sync speed will always be higher than your actual (throughput) broadband speed because it's completely free from signal interference. 

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

onslow
Chatterbox

Thanks Debbie. Let you know.

Never to old to  learn I hope.

Onslow

DAVID MORRIS
Community Team
onslow
Chatterbox

G'day Debbie

New router installed and running at a much improved 30 + mbps but dropped to approx 14mpbs then rose again to 30+

Will run it a few days and speedcheck it before I get back in touch.

Hopefully it will improve speeds overall.

Thanks for your speedy response and quick supply of the router.

Onslow

DAVID MORRIS
Community Team

Hi onslow,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the speeds compare 🙂

Thanks