Conversation Starter
That's quick Debbie ,will keep you updated

Patrick
Baker boy
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Good afternoon Debbie, Openreach have been out and their was something called a loop fault on our line.He"s cleared that now and has explained that if it happens again I need to disconnect our phone line and burglar alarm line and then reconnect them after a few minutes.If you do that the speed does improve for a bit

Patrick

Baker boy
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Morning Debbie now back to wear we was before, even if I unplug our phone and cctv system as the engineer recommended.Thought it was sorted but sadly not

Patrick

Baker boy
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Just a thought...

Your speeds are what would be expected from an ADSL, not a fibre, connection.

Could you log in to the router and check that you really are on a fibre (VDSL) connection? It has been known for the connection to be of the wrong type although it's rare.

Conversation Starter

Morning Wiz kid, I'm not very technical so don't understand exactly what you mean. I can tell you that OPenreach engineer was here yesterday lunchtime and said that we've got something called a loop fault.

PATRICK

Baker boy
Highlighted
Problem Solver
As you're on a fibre package, what should happen is that your phone line runs to a green cabinet on the street and from there are it connects to the fibre network.

However if in that green cabinet you are connecting to the copper network instead, then that could be the cause of your low speeds.

It is possible to check whether you are connected to fibre or copper by logging into the router and taking a look.

However if that's not easy for you to do then TalkTalk can check on Monday that you definitely are connected to fibre. They can tell by looking at the system at their end.

It may well be that you are connected to fibre and that's not the problem, but it is one more thing to check just in case they have left you connected to copper.

Your speeds, particularly the upload speed do look very much like copper speeds but it's not possible to be 100% certain whether you are on fibre or copper just by looking at the speeds.

Finally, in a world that is full of jargon. ADSL is the standard used to connect broadband over copper and VDSL is the standard for fibre so that's why I mentioned them in my previous post. You can think ADSL = Copper = Slower.
VDSL = Fibre = Faster.

Sorry if it's all a bit confusing hopefully TalkTalk will sort you out on Monday.

Good luck!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thank you for the reply. To be honest the only person who's been of any help is Debbie. Talktalk have been absolutely useless though. We are out of contract next month so things really do need to improve 

patrick

Baker boy
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
We have been paying for a fibre package for well over 4 years so should be

Patrick
Baker boy
Highlighted
Problem Solver
Yes, you'd hope it's fibre, do you know if your speeds have ever been much better than in your first post?

If you're feeling brave you could try steps 1. and 3. to investigate the router from these notes: https😕/community.talktalk.co.uk/eigde79682/attachments/eigde79682/111/724344/1/HG633.pdf

That assumes you have an HG633 router, which may not be the case. So, if those notes are a bit techie or just don't work then ignore them and await TalkTalk OCEs on Monday.

TalkTalk support here is excellent so they should sort things out. Elsewhere support can be less good if you have an unusual problem.
Highlighted
Problem Solver
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Im not 100% sure what all this means to us technical challenged earthlings 🙂
Baker boy
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@OCE_Debbie   could this be an incorrectly connected line, on ADSL rather than fibre?  Only asking as the upstream peaking at 0.8mbps looks a little ADSL-like!

Highlighted

Hi Patrick

Apologies for the delay.

Did the engineer advise that the phone and CCTV were causing the issue?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Debbie he never said anything about that

Patrick
Baker boy
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello John,had an horrendous phone call Saturday night from an Indian woman,to be honest I really could not fully understand her accent. Anyway she sent me a email and I've got to do a couple of things as soon as a new Ethernet cable arrives. She's wanting something called a ping and then also a routetrace. Have not got any ideas what they are,then she wants them copy and pasted to a email address. Do not have any ideas what copy and paste is either. I'm a total technophobe lol

patrick

Baker boy
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Ok, I’m sure we can try to help you get the results of the ping and routetrace tests.

I’m still hoping your connection is “wired up wrongly” at the green box - going via slow copper rather than faster fibre.  I’m hoping @OCE_Debbie can confirm this one way or the other.  If it’s not wired wrongly then I’ll bow out!

If for some reason TalkTalk don’t check this then if you’re up for the challenge I could write some simple instructions showing how you can check yourself.  It will be far easier if TalkTalk do it though, let’s give them some time to do so.

If you want some instructions please let me know the model of router you have.  It will be on a sticker in the back of the router.  The manufacturer will probably be D-Link or Huawei and there will be a model number.  I’ll try to put something together this evening.  If you don’t want to give that a try I quite understand.

@OCE_Debbie really is your best hope so fingers crossed she comes up trumps and can check you really are on fibre, not copper, and suggest the next move.

Highlighted

Hi Patrick

I've contacted our Network Team to check the engineers notes and to advise that you are still experiencing a fault.

I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie ,I'm supposed to be doing something for your team as soon as a new Ethernet cable arrives. I've got to do a ping and a routetrace. Ive figured out how to do that Noe,but it's the copy and paste bit I'm struggling with

patrick

Baker boy
Highlighted

Hi patrick,

Ok thanks for the update. Have you had a look at this Help Article? Run a Ping or Traceroute

What happens when you try to copy and paste the results?

Thanks