would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fault with your DNS

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
jamie jones
Team Player

Talk-talk Ip addresses 88.109.59.XX (in the old Tiscali range) have their PTR reverse records maintained by:

% host -t ns 59.109.88.in-addr.arpa.

59.109.88.in-addr.arpa nameserver ns0.as9105.com.

59.109.88.in-addr.arpa name server ns0.tiscali.co.uk.

These resolve to 212.139.129.130 and 212.74.114.132 respectfully.

The former is timing out on reverse lookups, and the latter seems to be dead completely.

This is causing connection delays and timeouts when connecting to services that validate connecting IP.

% host 88.109.59.60 8.8.8.8

Using domain server:

Name: 8.8.8.8

Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Aliases:

Host 60.59.109.88.in-addr.arpa not found: 2 (SERVFAIL)

Please fix ASAP - You should never have SERVFAIL in response to a dns request - it can cause all sorts of problems.

cheers

Highlighted
jamie jones
Team Player

Whilst I'm sure the DNS servers are very polite, I meant "respectively" not "respectfully"!

Highlighted
jamie jones
Team Player

This is affecting service.

I tried to log a support ticket, but got directed here.

What's the point if no-one responds?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jamie jones,

I'll pass on you comments and let you know when I have an update 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Jamie,

Apologies for the delay, I was meaning to reply but completely forgot. Our Network team did look into this and confirmed that it had actually already been resolved at that point. 

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted
jamie jones
Team Player

Hi Chris. Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't actually notice because I ended up recycling my connection until I got given an IP adress not in the old Tiscali range.

Checking now, yes, it's working, but even so, one of the two registered nameservers for those IP addresses is not working, so there is only one server running, which means problems could easily occur again.

By comparison, your other IP address ranges are served by 3 nameservers, and all 3 are working fine.

If it happens again, users may experience slower connections and connection timeouts (due to those sites that look up reverse DNS on connect) - and the reason may not be so obvious.

It's fine for an IP to have no registered reverse DNS, but when it has one, it should always work (hence why the other IP addresses are configured to be served by 3 servers - all of which are curently working:

% host -t ns 183.21.92.in-addr.arpa.

183.21.92.in-addr.arpa nameserver ds0.opaltelecom.net.

183.21.92.in-addr.arpa nameserver ds1.opaltelecom.net.

183.21.92.in-addr.arpa nameserver ds2.opaltelecom.net.

So, moving forward, I hope the old tiscali nameservers are upgraded appropriately.

Cheers, Jamie

Highlighted
Community Team

OK, thanks for information Jamie 🙂

Chris