cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faulty Line

16 REPLIES 16
Popular Poster

Despite contacting TalkTalk repeatedly the line fault on my fibre broadband still exists. It began on the 13th January and the situation is exactly the same now.

I am getting 9 mbps line speed at present and have done since this fault began and there does not seem to any apparent solution to the problem.

Has anybody got any bright ideas please?

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi craigie,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a few tests on the line which haven't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Could I just confirm, are you running the speed tests wired or wireless when you receive the slow throughput speed? (9mb) Is the voice service also ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

Popular Poster

There is no noise on the voice line. The speed test was through your own site. Your Service screen is showing a speed of 19 mbps which is incorrect , the screen previously showed 10 Mbps which is nearer to my reading. I have checked independently on Ookla as well. Numerous checks have been carried out by yourselves to no avail. As you probably appreciate I am finding the situation extremely annoying and I not at all hopeful about the situation being solved.

Hi

Can you confirm the speed tests are run wired (not over WiFi)

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Popular Poster

I have just today checked the line speed on your speed checker and it is 9.5 mbps yet your service centre screen  shows 33 mbps.

What is going on!!

Hi

We cannot move forward until you answer the question we have been asking,

We need you to confirm you have tested the speed wired with a device connected via cable direct to the router, not using wifi.

Can you please test wired and confirm.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Popular Poster

Have checked using cable but no different.

Popular Poster

Your posts re wired connection did not come through via email so not able to carry out.

Hi

OK, the speed is lower than it should be.

Are you able to test with a different router to rule out a hardware issue ?

Also, is the router direct to the master socket with a short cable, no long telephone extension cables in use etc ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster

I replied to your email but not sure if it went through.

I only have your supplied router.

Re router connection, it is all as installed when working correctly;

Hi

OK, I've a new router on the way.  Make sure when you swap over the router to also use the new cables so everything is ruled out.

If the sync speed is still low with new equipment then this will need an engineer.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster

Hello Karl.

Thank you for the very prompt delivery of a replacement router.

The router has been installed and set up with the following results:

TalkTalk Speed Check           15.4 mbps download       18.8 mbps upload

My Laptop Speed Check      14.78 mbps download      18.82 mbps upload

My iPhone Speed Check      15.4 mbps download        18.9 mbps upload

My iPad Speed Check           15.4 mbps download        18.6 mbps upload

As you can see there is a marginal improvement but the system is not back to the speed I am paying for.

I await your comments please.

Hi

Becase of errors on the line, DLM has dropped the profile down to 16mb.

Keep the new router connected and turned on and we can see if DLM will raise the profile over the next 48hrs.  

If this does not happen then an engineer will be required.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Popular Poster

Today I have sent you an email to let you know the latest information I have. I have not received acknowledgment about this but just felt that I should let you know about it. Thanks,

Hi craigie,

Did you reply to our last community post via email as we can't see these email responses, only posts on the community. Would it be possible to post on your thread here. If it contains personal information then please let us know and you can send this to us via a Personal Message (PM).

Please do not post any personal information on the community.

Thanks

Popular Poster

Dear Michelle.   

Good things to report - the Openreach engineer called this morning and did numerous technical tests but could not find a definitive fault but decided to change the master socket to a two socket design which incorporated the filter.

There was instant success! I now have 60 mbps.

Thank you for your help.

Hi craigie

That's great news, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie