Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibe speed not as fast as expected

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Last week, Tuesday 10th Dec, I was upgraded to fast fibre with the promised speeds of  32 and 37Mb/s.  for the first few days I was getting speeds of  32Mb peaking at 37Mb. but over the last few days it has dropped to 25Mb average.  Why has it dropped below the promised speeds?

I use Ookla speedtest to check the speed and am running the Huawei HG633 router.

Any info/explanation will be appreciated.

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi mzungu

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 27.4mb.

There are re connections showing on the line and this can affect the sync speed. Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I rebooted the router a couple of tines last week as recommended Someone called it power cycling otherwise switching the router on and off.

Highlighted
Community Star

Recommended by whom? Sometimes switching the router off for a full 30 minutes before switching it back on again is advised as this should start a fresh session at the DSLAM. But this should only be done once and frequent reboots are to be avoided. 

Highlighted

Hi mzungu

Apologies, for fibre connections we advise leaving the router switched on. If DLM detects re connections on the line then it can reduce the speed to try and stabilise the connection.

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router? We can then check the connection stats to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed/profile.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

My router is never under normal circumstances turned off as I also have a Youview box and I know it's not a good idea to keep turning the router on and off as and when I use it.

I'm a bit confused. What/where is the test socket? Also what is DLM?

Highlighted

Hi mzungu

DLM monitors your line and changes the profile to get the best balance between speed and stability.

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket so I can check if you have a test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

There is no test socket as the master socket is the one that wa here when I moved  to the flat in the early 1990s and it was installed in the 1980s.

Highlighted

Hi mzungu,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Do you have any extension sockets? If you do then could you confirm if you have any other devices connected to the extension sockets at the moment?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

There is a master socket with a cable wired into it which runs to an extension socket into which the router is plugged.  Connected to the router are 2 PCs through a Samknows white box and a Youview box connected to the router via power line sockets.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hmm, seems an obvious suggestion to try the router plugged into the master socket don't you think?

Highlighted

Hi mzungu

Would it be possible to remove any other devices from the line/extension sockets and connect the router and filter directly at the master socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have just checked with speeds though today, 18th Dec,  on the Samknows  Whitebox and today they have jumped back up to 31Mb and a couple of checks by me have given the same speeds.

Highlighted

Hi mzungu,

Thanks for the update. Just to confirm, did you make any changes to the equipment set up prior to this?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

No change to equipment. 

As mentioned I have a Samknows White box which monitors the speed and the speed increased yesterday, 18th Dec, at 5 am and since then it  has been 31 to 32 Mb.

Many thanks for your help.

Highlighted

Hi mzungu,

Ok thank you for confirming this and please let us know if the speeds do drop again.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

The speed has dropped over the weekend to around 24/25Mbps.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Tuesday 10th Dec, I was upgraded to fast fibre with the promised speeds of 32 and 37Mb/s.

Since then it dropped down to 24Mb for a few days then went up to 30/32Mbps now it has dropped back to 24/25Mbps which is less than the promised 30 to 37Mbps.

Highlighted
Community Star

Constant posting will lead to a delay in a reply from the OCE. Starting multiple topics on the same subject is regarded as spamming as is only likely to cause confusion.

Highlighted

Hi mzungu, have you removed all other devices as Debbie asked and connected at the master socket? I'd bet good money that you've always lost speed as a result of the extension wired direct to the master socket. In the old days before Broadband that rarely caused problems. In the modern era it's often the cause of problems.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.