cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fiber Speed Drop - Is my connection being throttled?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Aimdog
Repeat Guest

Been using Talk Talk since the end of summer, and have had a significant drop in my service, over the course of a few months. I am unsure whether this is due to an issue on the line and openreaches DLM has slown my service, or wheter my service has been throttled. Has anyone else expericed throttling?

I currently use a Draytek Vigor 130 modem, this is because talk talks own router, does not support modem mode or bridge mode (I can't understand why this is not included in software) and I prefer to use ubiquiti network gear for managment reasons.

Whenever I phone TalkTalk they seem to just blame the modem and tell me to plug in their router (which I have done a few times with no increase in speed). They say that they are going to do a network reset.

I have plugged in the modem into the filter provided and that into the test socket to see if I get any increase in speed. This has only been plugged in for a few hours, with no increase so far.

I have run a check on the modem and it shows that my attainable speed is around 63Mbps, however the actual rate is 15Mbps, after looking into the exact meaning of the actual rate, acording to the draytek documentation this is a limit set by the ISP.

Therefore I have concluded that Talk Talk or Openreach are purposely throttling my service. Whether this is because of line stability problems I do not know.

As can be seen from the speed test graphs, my service was 55Mbps+ which was acceptiable, however you can see how it drops drasically in November. (A speed test is run every 15 minutes or so. I was away for most of December so shut down some of the networking equimpment, that is why there is a missing part in the data.)

Capture.PNGasdfasdf.PNG

Community Team

Hi,

Can you please add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can locate your details.

If unsure of your number, simply dial 17070 from your land line phone and this will confirm the number for you.

Please reply when this has been updated.

Thanks

Karl. 

Aimdog
Repeat Guest

I have added my landline number to my profile!

Community Team

Hi

The router sync speed is low as the BT DLM profile has lowered.

All line tests are clear with no obvious issues identified.

If you check the phone line, is this clear with no noise or crackles ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Aimdog
Repeat Guest

Hi Karl,

Just tested it, clear dialing tone with no noise. (Tested it though both the filter and the test socket)

Thanks,

George

Community Team

Hi George

Thanks for checking this.

When you connected the TalkTalk router did you leave this connected for at least 48hrs? (we advise 48hrs to allow DLM time to monitor the connection)

Thanks

Debbie

Aimdog
Repeat Guest

Yes I left it plugged in for a few days. I will try it again and plug it in now. 

Community Team

Hi George

Thank you. If DLM doesn't start to increase the speed or change the profile after the 48hrs then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Thanks

Debbie

Aimdog
Repeat Guest

Hi Debbie,

I have been using the TalkTalk router for the past 48 hours with not increase in speed, if anything the speed has reduced.

Thanks,

George

Community Team

Hi George

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection logs again and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased, apologies for this.

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit. I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi George

Thanks for the Private Message.

The engineer visit has been arranged for 23/01/2020 PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Aimdog
Repeat Guest

Thank you! Will let you know the result.