Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre 65 upgrade but no change in download speeds

11 REPLIES 11
Jamespd46
Popular Poster

I upgraded to fibre 65 around 2 weeks ago and my download speeds have remained the same 35-40mbps. My guaranteed download speed is 53mbps apparently the speed to my router is been measured each night at midnight and it's 60mbps but every time I do a speed test using their own tester it comes back as around 40mbps. Luckily this new contract is only 50pence more. But hope it gets fixed

James dalzell
Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @Jamespd46,

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session' in the street cabinet, this can sometimes help the throughput speed get closer to the sync speed that you are seeing.

If that doesn't help, the staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to assist.

wgd66
Chatterbox

I have the same problem I upgraded to Fibre65 from Fibre35 I went live on the 13th

on the Talktalk speed to your router test :Status is poor 36Mb download.

my upload has increased to 19Mb from 8Mb but the download is still the same.

On live chat was told to wait 10 days as its calibrating or something.

they also flagged my home set up as a possible issue but its not.

my land line it a BT fitted phone socket and my home setup is good.

the problem is the download speed to my router.

hope someone is able to help.

Skynet_TX
Community Star

@wgd66, if your download sync speed had increased then the 30+ minute switch off can often help, but if your sync speed is still down in the Fibre 35 range then the staff here may need to take a look at this for you.

You will need to start your own topic here on the community if you would like the staff here to help, as they can only help one customer per topic, you would also need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help. The staff here won't be around now until Monday.

Jamespd46
Popular Poster
No I haven't but I will try it. Actually on my PS4 ethernet cable it was 52mbps twice that I've checked that way but to my phone or lap top it's normally around the 40 mark. Sometimes on my PS4 it's the same slower times as well though. I'm hoping like I was told after a few days it will get faster. Thanks for the info.
James dalzell
Skynet_TX
Community Star

Hi @Jamespd46,

If you saw speeds of 52mbps on Ethernet then there is probably no need to do the 30 minute shut down, as an Ethernet speed test is the best way to get an accurate result, and shows you are getting the speeds you expect.

Ethernet will always give you the best speeds, wireless speeds will always be lower unless you are close to the router. If your wireless speeds are particularly poor then it is possible you are suffering from Wi-Fi interference. There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

Jamespd46
Popular Poster

I've proper messed up trying to switch from 2.5ghz to 5 I pressed switch WiFi off in WiFi settings after putting in 165.162.1.1 and now I can't connect to my WiFi hub to most of all switch it back on. Pls help

James dalzell
Skynet_TX
Community Star

You could always use the pinhole reset switch on the back to restore the router back to its initial factory settings, you can just hold that switch in for 10+ seconds.

Or, just connect wired rather than wireless to get back into the router settings.

Jamespd46
Popular Poster

Phew thank you. 10 sec reset. I was trying with PS4 but it wouldn't accept my password etc, but just done 2 speed checks on PS4 and it was just 55 and 59 Mbps. And when I was searching for my WiFi honestly there must of been about 20 other wifis in my area so it is probably WiFi interference but I am always feet away from my router as I look be in a studio flat. But most of all thank you.

James dalzell
Skynet_TX
Community Star
If you are in an environment where there are a large number of other Wi-Fi signals it can be difficult to find a good channel, but if you did want to install a smartphone app like the one mentioned in my post above, then that will let you see what channel each of the nearby networks is using, that may give you an indication if there was any better channel that you could tell your router to use that might improve your Wi-Fi performance a little.
Jamespd46
Popular Poster

I've downloaded it so I'll give it a try. Interestingly since I done the reset my wireless is maxing out at 47mbps so that's faster than earlier. Now I know that I'm getting 55mbps on my PS4 I'm happy as that's why I wanted fibre 65. Even talktalks own test they carry out at 12.01am each day l. Today it was saying poor at 49mbps when usually it's 55 my guaranteed speed is 53mbps I think so all in all considering it's only 50pence more than when I was on fibre 35 with talktalk TV I'm happy.

James dalzell
OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jamespd46,

If you need any further assistance just let us know 

Chris