would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband Keeps Restarting and Phone Crackling

34 REPLIES 34
tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hello.

I have not had a problem with my phone or fibre broadband for quite a while.

Last night just after the rain started the phone rang for three rings and went off. It appears that no-one had rung and for the remainder of the night to this morning I was unable to get any dial tone and the phone was very crackly. Tried to ring the phone myself but was unable to get through. Today the phone is very crackly and I have tried a wired phone which is also crackly.

There is no test socket on my master socket as it is pre split.

My fibre speed is normally around 49mb but this morning the router has restarted several times and the speed has fluctuated between 22mb and 45mb, currently at 38mb.

I have noticed that the Line Attenuation had increased from a steady 13.1 to 15.4 and is now at 13.4.

Can someone have a look and try to resolve the problems.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi

I've passed this to networks to progress to openreach.

I'm showing an Earth Fault on the line.

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

Hi

Openreach are asking for an appointment - earliest showing is Tuesday AM.

What days are best for you next week?

Thanks

Karl. 

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi

Tuesday is fine.

Thank You.

Community Team

Hi

Sorry, only picking this up this morning.  I've passed to networks asking them to confirm earliest appointment available.  Will reply as soon as they confirm.

Thanks

Karl. 

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Tuesday would have been the best day for me so hopefully they can still do it. Just to let you know the phone isn't crackling as much because it is dryer now. The router has rebooted a lot of times and the speed has settled at around 34mb. Let's hope they can sorry it out.

Community Team

Hi

Appointment is confirmed :

Appointment date:         17/07/2018

Appointment slot:           AM

Thanks

Karl. 

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Thanks for that.

Community Team
tom2453
Conversation Starter

Openreach telephone engineer has been this morning and tested the line. He says that there are now no faults showing on the telephone side of things. He noticed that the fibre broadband shows a significant drop recently and says that a different engineer would be required to resolve the broadband fault. He says that it may only require a reset. ( He can't do that ).

The router continues to reboot and doesn't get above 34mb so there is still a problem.

I have had a good connection on fastpath for months but it has changed to interleaved and is slow.

Can this problem be resolved now.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi

I've passed this over to networks to progress this with Openreach now the line issue has cleared.

Regards,

Karl. 

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Thanks.

Community Team
Community Team

Hi

Networks have logged this out for a non appointed visit for a fibre engineer as they can see a fibre issue.

Thanks

Karl. 

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi

Will I be informed when it's fixed, or do I just keep checking.

cheers.

Community Team

Hi

Check back here tomorrow and I'll chase for an update for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi.

I'm out until this afternoon so I'll check later.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi

No Updates as yet, this is still in hand with Openreach.

Thanks

Karl. 

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Hi Again.

A couple of days ago I checked the router and lo and behold the speed had risen to 49mb and I was again on fastpath. No problem I thought.

Today the rain has started and again the phone is crackling and the router has rebooted which has reduced my download speed to 39mb.

when the BT engineer attended the weather was dry and it appeared that the fault had rectified itself even though he hadn't done anything and I thought that the broadband was back to normal.

There is obviously a faulty connection somewhere which is causing the problems during wet weather.

Can BT/open reach be notified of this fact then they can sort it out.

Thank You.

tom2453
Conversation Starter

Whilst posting last message router has again rebooted and reduced speed even further. Line attenuation has increased to 15.4.

It doesn't like the rain.