Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband Regularly Disconnects

13 REPLIES 13
cgclassics
Whizz Kid

My fibre broadband connection (FTTC) has started dropping connection regularly.  The Router reports no broadband and after a minute or two the service comes back.  This is happening many times a day.  I have been through the usual tests - the router is connected to the first main box in the house and we have no telephone extension network connected.  The router has been rebooted several times with no improvement.  The broadband is dropping on a direct wired connection to the router - nothing to do with WiFi.  The router has not been changed or any settings changed.  Could an OCE please check the disconnection stats your end and complete a line check to see.  Last time we had the problem it was overhead lines from the cabinet to the house which are threaded through the trees along the road.  They replaced a cable which fixed it, but this seems to have similar symptoms. Thanks

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi cgclassics

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and I can see 1 re connection on the line.

When did you last experience this fault?

Thanks

Debbie

cgclassics
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie,  we have been having the problem for quite some time - probably over 2 weeks.  Just had to wait 5 minutes for the connection to come back up before I could reply to you now.  The router is showing a disconnection each time we see loss of service on the wired and wireless clients.  I am going into the router status pages directly to confirm this each time and it is indeed showing as no VDSL2 service.  The connection goes down and comes back up each time on it's own.  Telephone voice services are OK.

The router is an TP-Link Archer VR900 that has been used for 2 years.  It has an autoconfig for talktalk VDSL which has not been changed.

OCE_Debbie

Hi cgclassics

Would it be possible to test with a different router? (just for testing purposes) so we can rule this out?

Thanks

Debbie

cgclassics
Whizz Kid

Hi Debbie - thanks for your reply - I have just connected up a TT Super Router and will run that for a bit to see if we are still getting loss of broadband or not.

OCE_Debbie

Hi cgclassics

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

cgclassics
Whizz Kid

Thanks - seems better with the TT router and the number of disconnects has dropped a lot.  Is the TT Super Router currently the best offering?  Signal doesn't quite get to the far end of the house?

OCE_Debbie

Hi cgclassics

Thanks for keeping us updated.

We also have the Wifi Hub router. If you contact our Customer Service Team then they can discuss sending a Wifi Hub.

Thanks

Debbie

cgclassics
Whizz Kid

How do I contact customer services to get any sense?  The online chat was busy, the phone line takes your through automated switchboard which when you tell them you want to upgrade the router it puts you onto a loop where they begin testing my line.  How can I speak to a person to ask simply for a wifi hub router to be sent out?  Can you do it from the forum?

OCE_Chris

Hi cgclassics,

You could try speaking to our Loyalty Team, there's contact information here

Chris

cgclassics
Whizz Kid

Thanks - but giving up on that now.  I've had a frustrating day with trying to simply get someone to consider upgrading my router from a super router to a wifi hub.  Online chat not working, automated phone service going round in circles, text chat frustrating - 3 times they have asked me if my broadband is working correctly and 3 times I have told them that I am contacting them for a better unit to get more wifi coverage in the house.  In the end they wanted to charge me £60 for a wifi hub router.  I only have 2 months left on my contract so why would I do that.  I'll just renew with one of the providers who give a whole house guarantee for the same money.  Why wouldn't I do that?  Fed up with such a waste of time trying to deal with a simple request.  Why can't TalkTalk make customer service easy?  The forums are great, but as soon as you get moved onto any of the systems outside the community forums it's a nightmare of frustration and time wasting.

OCE_Chris

Hi cgclassics,

If you're soon out of contract it's probably worth speaking to our loyalty team as they may be able to offer you a deal on the wifi hub if you're willing to re-contract

Chris

cgclassics
Whizz Kid

Thanks Chris - I tried that last night on the online chat.  TBH they didn't offer anything on the router and no renewal deals of any significance.  If I was a new customer however I would get an amazing deal with the right router.  Essentially loyal customers aren't of interest, new customers are.  So I've tried to stay but will probably take the Vodafone offer which is a lot cheaper for Vodafone mobile customers.

OCE_Karl

Hi

I would still try to call in, I find the loyalty agents on a call can be quite accommodating as you can build a rapport when talking in person.  Chat is efficient but impersonal as it's text based.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE