would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband Speed Not Up To Expected Level

44 REPLIES 44
Davo_B
Team Player

Hello

I took out a new phone line and fibre broadband with Talk Talk, starting on 1st May.  An email was received stating that it can take 14 days of monitoring by Talk Talk before the broadband gets up to speed (30MB+). Today, on 14th May, the broadband speed is around 18MB.  (This has been measured with a PC connected via ethernet cable to the Talk Talk provided router, connected directly to the master test socket.)  Is it likely that the speed will increase further over the next day or two to meet the Fast Fibre advertised speed?

hosay299
Insightful One

@Davo_B  Welcome let one of the team take a look and see if they can help in any way

A bite of info of Forum:
The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:- Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Hope that help Joe R If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Community Team

Hi Davo_B,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Davo_B
Team Player

Michelle Hi

The voice service is now OK and there is no noise on the line.  Incoming calls have been OK but there were no outgoing calls until 9th May.  The master socket does have a test socket.  BTOR have been and have run various line tests without registering any problems.

For information: the broadband speed was around 8MB on activation on 1st May.  Over the next few days, the speed increased to 11MB, then 15MB and now it is 18MB.  It could be that someone or something needs to turn up the speed even further?

Community Team

Hi Davo_B,

You're on a 40Mbps profile so this isn't holding your speed down. Can you switch your router off for 30 minutes and then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Chris Hi

I switched off the router over lunch for one hour.  Just reconnected at used the test socket to run a speed test.  My location had previously always been Brighton but now showed Caerphilly so I had high hopes.  Unfortunately, the result is still 18.48MB download and 4.38MB upload.

Community Team

Thanks for trying that. Your sync speed seems to have improved from 18.7Mbps to 29.4Mbps - could you try a wired speed test if possible please

Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Thanks Chris

I've just run a wired test... 18.42MB download, 4.65MB upload.  🤔

Community Team

OK thanks for that, it looks as though there's something limiting your throughput speed to your old sync speed so can you switch the router off again for 30 minutes then switch back on and retest, hopefully this will resolve it 

Thanks
Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Thanks again, Chris.

Router switched off for approx. 50 mins.  Retest now shows location as Aberdare.  28.53MB download and 4.59MB upload so that's a big step forward.  Well done so far.

Community Team

Hi

Glad to hear the reset has improved the speeds.  The overall sync speed has increased on your line also.

Thanks

Karl. 

Davo_B
Team Player

Thanks Karl

Can I hope for anything faster than 28MB?

Community Team

Hi

The sync speed is within the estimated range for your line.  It may increase a little but realistically I would not expect this to increase by much.

Thanks

Karl.  

Davo_B
Team Player

Thanks Karl

I ask because @OCE_Chris stated in his first response that I am on a 40MB profile so thought I would get something closer to that?  Or have I misunderstood?

Davo_B
Team Player

Well, that wasn't fun!  I have just been on the phone with TT for 1 hour 40 minutes.  Why?  Basically I'm being charged more than the monthly amount that was agreed when the TT contract was taken out.  I spoke to four people, three in customer service and one in technical.  The guy in technical could see the relevant notes on his system and these notes explained what had happened and how much I should be charged.  He handed me back to customer service who said they couldn't see any notes and would not be changing the charge.  Eventually I insisted that the customer adviser listened to the original call when the charge was agreed - all TT calls are recorded after all.  I'm due a call back on Monday so let's see what happens.

Meanwhile, my broadband speed has gone back to 18MB download and 4MB upload.  I told the very helpful technical guy how the broadband speed went up yesterday when I powered down the modem/router for 30 minutes but the speed has since dropped again so the technical guy has booked an appointment for a TT engineer to check everything over on Monday.

Looks like Monday will be a busy day!  I'll report back.

Davo_B
Team Player

PS  Just powered down the modem/router for 50 minutes and ran another test... 17.38MB download, 3.09MB upload.  Whatever you did before guys, someone has moved it!

Community Team

Hi Davo_B

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 28.2mb.

I can see re connections on the line, have you rebooted the router?

Thanks

Debbie

Davo_B
Team Player

Debbie Hi

As you can see from my previous post, I powered down the modem/router on Friday evening and re-ran the speed test but didn't get any increase in speed.  The speed stayed around 18MB d/l.  

The engineer arranged by TT has just visited (Monday am).  He changed the master socket and checked the speed, it was still around 18MB.  The engineer says the line from the exchange to the DP should be checked and he's made arrangements for this.  After he left, I powered down the modem/router for 30 minutes (again!) and re-ran the speed test.  The speed has now gone back up to 28MB d/l and 4MB u/l.  Let's see if it stays there as I can't keep powering the modem/router off and on every day.  I'll report back in a week... or sooner if the speed drops.

Also, an update on the other issue regarding the incorrect monthly charge - a senior customer adviser called to say that they had listened to the original call recording and agreed that the monthly charge should be altered to the amount originally quoted.  Yay!  However I won't know whether the correct charge has been applied for sure until my next monthly bill arrives in just over two weeks time.  Fingers crossed!

Community Team

Hi Davo_B,

Thanks for the update, look forward to hearing from you again 🙂

Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Hi Everyone

My broadband speed stayed at 28MB download and 4.5MB upload from Monday to Wednesday.  On Thursday the download speed dropped to 21MB yet the upload speed increased to 5.0MB.  Interestingly, I noticed that the speed test server moved from one in Wales to one in Worthing.  The download and upload speeds stayed like this on Friday as well.  Saturday saw the download speed increase slightly to 23MB, the upload speed is 4.8MB.  These speeds were the same for Sunday and today, Monday.  

My original email says my typical speeds should be 25.9MB to 40MB.  The speeds have never been anywhere near 40MB and have now dropped below 25.9MB again.  What are the next steps to get the speed back up?

Thanks