cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband Speed Not Up To Expected Level

Community Team

Hi Davo_B,

I'm sorry to hear that the speed has dropped again. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

Davo_B
Team Player

Hi

When the TT engineer came, he changed the master socket from the one in the middle of the top row to the one on the right of the bottom row.  Since that change, I haven't been using the test socket.

sockets.jpg

After your email this morning, I went to connect to the test socket and discovered that I no longer had a splitter/filter to connect the modem/router and phone that I had been using for my original socket.  I had to go out and buy another splitter/filter to connect to the test socket.  

Having connected the modem/router to the test socket, I re-ran the speed test.  This morning it is reporting 21MB download and 0.76MB upload.

Community Team

Hi Davo_B,

Thank for confirming this. Would it be possible to keep the router connected to the test socket and we can re-check the connection stats tomorrow to see if DLM has made any changes to the sync speed over night?

Thanks

Davo_B
Team Player

No problem.  I'll leave the modem/router connected to the test socket.

Thanks for checking.

Community Team
Davo_B
Team Player

Good morning

This morning I noted that the test server moved to Tangmere.  The speed test recorded 21MB download and 0.86MB upload.

Community Team

Hi Davo_B,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Chris Hi

I had a 30 minute calls on Monday and Tuesday evenings, no noise was heard during the calls.  I just tried 17070 but, of course, the quiet test isn't enabled.  I then called a friend's number, no noise was heard.

It seemed that the speed dropped when the connection moved from a server in Wales to a local server on Thursday last week but that may be coincidence.  

The modem/router is still connected to the test socket.  There are no other connections/extensions from the socket anyway.  This morning's speed is the same as yesterday 21MB download, 0.86MB upload.  I did note during the test that the download speed went to around 15MB initially then slowly increased to 21MB.

Clearly something is not right!

Community Team

OK thanks, just to confirm, have you tested with a second router? If not then I can send one to test with

Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Chris Hi

This is getting more confusing! 

Background

On Monday 20th, I swapped the TT modem/router for a brand new ASUS AC68U so that I could set up a guest network for friends.  This had 28MB download and 4.5MB upload each day until Thursday 23rd, when the download speed dropped to 21MB, and Tuesday 28th, when the upload speed suddenly dropped to 0.76MB.  

Why did the download speed drop after three days?

Why did the upload speed then drop after eight days?

Latest

This morning I have swapped the TT modem/router and the ASUS modem/router several times and got the following:

TT: Tonypandy - 20.4MB d/l; 4.7MB u/l; 18ms ping

ASUS: Caerphilly - 22.5MB d/l; 0.8MB u/l; 73ms ping

TT: Brighton - 19.7MB d/l; 5.1MB u/l; 76ms ping

ASUS: Brighton 22.4MB d/l; 0.8MB u/l; 18ms ping

TT: Burgess Hill 19.4MB d/l; 4.7MB u/l; 16ms ping

I then did a reset for the ASUS modem/router to be sure that a setting hadn't been changed accidentally (though the ASUS hadn't been touched before the upload speed dropped).

ASUS: Burgess Hill 22.1MB d/l; 0.86MB u/l; 78ms ping

What next? 🤔

Community Team

DLM changed your profile at 23:30 on the 22nd  which will be the cause of the speed drop that you noticed on the 23rd. I don't know why the upstream speed dropped on the 28th, there's no corresponding profile change

DLM changes the profile after a period of monitoring, so if you make a change such as replacing the router which then causes the connection stats to be better or worse than the previous router, DLM will generally only change the profile a couple of day later or longer, after a period of monitoring

I'd initially check to see if there's a firmware update available for the ASUS, and if there is then retest with the updated firmware

Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Hi

The ASUS modem/router did a firmware update on Monday 20th May.  I've checked and that was the latest firmware version.

On Saturday (1st June) the d/l speed dropped further again (17.8MB) however the u/l speed improved from 0.84MB to 1.74MB.  Today, Sunday 2nd June, the d/l speed is 23MB, the u/l speed is 1.9MB.  Weekends can give strange results for some reason so I'll test the speed again tomorrow (Monday).

I'm still concerned that the speed is below what it should be.  If I log into my account, I get the message, "Your broadband connection should be okay now."  Clearly it's not.  Do I report the speed again with an online 'helper' and go through the step-by-step process before they (unnecessarily) book an engineering visit?

Davo_B
Team Player

Monday morning's speed readings from broadbandspeedchecker are 23.7MB d/l and 1.9MB u/l.

Community Team

Hi Davo_B,

Thanks for the update, how has it been since your last post?

Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Chris Hi

A speed test just now shows that the speed is similar to yesterday.  It's 23.4MB d/l and 1.9MB u/l.

Community Team

OK thanks. I've logged this over to our network team for further investigation. Can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Chris

Davo_B
Team Player

Bumping as requested.

Good morning, Chris

This morning's speed test shows a slowdown at 20.5MB d/l and 0.81MB u/l.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Davo_B

I've requested an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Davo_B

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Davo_B

Thanks for the Private Message and additional information.

I have passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie