would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband Speed Reduction Issue

31 REPLIES 31
teejaycee
Team Player

Hi,

I have a faster fibre connection which used to connect at over 60Mb. The download speed checkers used to show values around 57Mb download with upload speed connecting at bang on 20Mb (ie. upload limit) but unfortunately download speeds have been generally decreasing over the last year or so. Currently, the download sync speed is 18Mb, with 20Mb upload. Sometimes the upload speed dips just below 20MB, which it didn't used to do. Download speed is now slower than upload! I perform the speed checks fom my PC, which is connected to the router via cable.

Also, Ping used to be 9ms, but now is much higher (currently 30+ ms).

I used to use a SuperRouter but installed a new WiFi Hub back in Aug/Sept last year, but found negligable difference in speed between the two. The landline phone appears OK when using our portable phone, apart fom the odd crackle, but that may be from the line at the other end. I don't have a direct cable phone handy at the moment to try out.

I have tried turning the router off for 30+ mins and back on a few times over the months but this has made negligable difference in speed. The Wifi Hub is currently connected direct to the master/test socket but this his has also made negligable difference. The router itself appears to be running OK.

Nothing else has changed on my side of the master socket.

I have the original TalkTalk paperwork that quotes a minimum download speed of 25Mb.  My speed is now below this.

Please can you do a line check for me?

Thanks.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi teejaycee 

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault.

Would it be possible to test with a corded phone to see if the noise is still present in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did in fact try a corded phone earlier this morning. There did seem to be more noise than expected and also a slight hum in the background. Although, the corded phone is fairly old and may be possibly adding it's own noise. Is it worth me locating another corded phone to try?

Also, thank you to Keith for his initial response late on Sunday.

Regards,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

Yes please or alternatively would it be possible to test your phone on a different line? (friend or families line)

Did you also test the phone at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

I must admit that the phone was connected via a microfilter to the master/test socket with the router also attached. I will disconnect the router and connect the phone direct to the test socket. I may also try a different phone and/or try the phone on someone elses line as suggested.

I will do the testing when back home tonight and will report back.

Thanks,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

teejaycee
Team Player
Hi Debbie, I have tried a different corded phone and the line sounds OK to me on the couple of times or so that I have tried it. Connecting the router back into circuit doesn't seem to make any difference to the sound of the phone line either. I have now tried the original Super router, including a different set of micofilter + cabling connected direct to the master/test socket. I also tried disconnecting the phone as well but the download and upload sync speeds are still pretty much 18Mb and 20Mb respectively, as per the Wifi Hub. I know that the line speeds need time to settle, but the download speed is still less than a third of what it used to be. Even though the line sounds clear using the corded phone, I still believe that there must be a problem with the line, as indicated by your line test. Regards, Tim
Community Team

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

I've tested the line again and as it's still detecting a possible issue I've raised this over to our Network Team for investigation.

I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Tim

This fault is now under investigation with BT Openreach and we should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Team Player

OK, thanks for that Debbie.

I will wait for a response back.

Regards,

Tim

teejaycee
Team Player
Hi Debbie, Just to say that an engineer visited my house this (ie. Thursday) morning. It would have been better if a prior arrangement was made as I was at work at the time but luckily my partner was at home to let him in. But at least it was a quick response and he seems to have fixed the problem! I understand that when he first tested the line he had the same slow download rate as I had found. He checked the line with his test box but wasn't too sure what the problem was. He checked the connection from the street wiring at the outside of the house and said that the contacts may have been a little dirty. But after he reset the line, the speed suddenly jumped back up to a sync speed of nearly 70MB, which is what it used to be! The engineer said keep to an eye on things and let him know if there the problem reappears, but it still seems to be going strong tonight and connecting as FAST like it originally used to with a ping of 8ms. The old Super Router is still connected, so I will swap back to the Wifi Hub Tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for your help. Regards, Tim
Community Team

Hi Tim

Apologies, sometimes the line engineer will go to the property once they have completed investigations on the line. If they are unable to gain access then they let us know and we can arrange a visit if required.

Please can you monitor the connection over the weekend and let us know how you get on?

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Team Player
Hi Debbie, Fair enough regarding the line engineer visit. I have now swapped back to the Wifi Hub and the connection speed is still going strong. I will see how it goes over the weekend and will keep you posted. Just to say that the last couple of my messages seem to have lost some line spacings after posting and the whole message is compressed into one big paragraph. Not sure what is happening to the formatting and apologies if it happens to this post as well! I guess that it may be my browser blocking something. Regards, Tim
Community Team

Hi Tim

How's the connection been over the weekend?

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Since Thurdsay, the sync speed has dropped from nearly 70MB to around 63MB and the ping time has doubled from 8ms to 16ms. I guess that the DLM is auto adjusting the line speed. I will keep an eye on it to see if things get any worse.

Out of interest, does your line check show any problems now?

Regards,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 63.7mb. Connection appears to have remained stable.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Team Player
Hi Debbie, OK, thanks for checking. I will see how things go and will let yo know if anything changes. Regards, Tim
Community Team

Hi Tim

If you post back on this thread on Wednesday then we can check the connection stats/speed again.

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Team Player
Hi Debbie, Thanks for checking. The connection speed doesn't seem to have changed for the last few days, so hopefully it has stabilized. Speedtest shows a download speed of around 60Mb, up is around 19Mb and both seem reasonable. Regards, Tim