Fibre Broadband Speed Reduction Issue

Community Team

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Sorry to open an old thread, but I seem to have the same speed problem again.

The connection speed should normally be around 60Mb down and 20Mb up. But now it has dropped to 13Mb down & 10Mb up. I beleive that it has been dropping downwards for a while. This has happened once or twice since I last reported the problem back in January but it seemed to have sorted itself out. But not this time and it's the worst speeds that I have seen.

According to a TT document the minimum guaranteed speed for my line is 41Mb d/l.

To recap on the last time I reported the problem, there was a line fault and the OpenReach engineer who visited checked the connections and said that they may have been a bit dirty and reset the line. This cured the problem at the time, although the engineer didn't seem overly convinced on what was causing the problem.

My setup has not changed since then. I have powered off the router for a few hours and back on again but this has not improved the speeds. I have also tried my old SuperRouter and connected to the master socket but still get the same slow speeds.

Can you do a line check please.

Thanks,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped and the connection looks unstable. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Thanks

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for replying.

For the voice, I can hear a dialing tone OK. Although, the line can sound a little noisy at times.

Thanks,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim,

Thanks for confirming this. Noise on the line can affect the broadband connection so we'll need to look into this first. Is the noise present at the test/master socket with 2 different handsets and with all other equipment removed from the line? Is the noise also permanent or intermittent?

Thanks

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

At the moment I only have a portable phone in the house. I guess that I need to use a wired phone as well. If, so, I will see what I can borrow and try things out.

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

A corded handset would help rule out any cordless/wireless interference with the handset.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I have just tried a wired phone as well as a portable phone direct to the master socket. To be honest, I can't hear much background noise on either phone and the dialing tone sounds OK. I then connected up the normal face-plate with the router connected and powered up as normal. I tried both phones again and they sound the same as they did when connected direct to the master socket and no router.

To answer your previous question, the line is not noisy all of the time and I have a sneaky feeling that the noise may appear after we have wet and windy weather, but I may be wrong. As far as I can tell, the cabling to the fibre cabinet runs down the road underground.

The router was powered off for an hour or two and now powered up the down speed is still 13Mb, but the up speed has gone up to 19Mb. If that helps at all.

Is there anything else that I could try?

Thanks,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

If the noise is not present then I think we should focus on the BB fault.

Would it be possible to keep the router at the test socket for 48hrs to see if DLM starts to increase the speed?

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Until this morning, I have in fact been running the router from the test socket (via a microfilter) over the last few days, which hasn't seemed to have helped.

To be sure, I have now reconnected the router back to the test socket (via microfilter). The speeds are the same but I will see how it goes over the next 48 hours.

Thanks,

Tim

Community Team

OK thanks Tim, please let us know how you get on

Chris

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

OK Chris, will do.

Tim

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Just reporting back to say that the connection speeds have not changed over the last 48 hours or so whilst connected to the test socket. I am still only getting 13Mb download speed.

I am pretty sure there is a line fault.

Regards,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

Apologies for this.

As the line tests are not detecting any faults and if all testing has been completed with a different router at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property.

Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

It's a pity that you can't detect any line faults. Would the engineer be from OpenReach?

Regards,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

This would be an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

OK Debbie, can you book a visit please. When is the next time available?

Thanks,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

teejaycee
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Just to confirm, yesterday I responded to your PM with the requested details regarding the engineers visit.

Thanks,

Tim

Community Team

Hi Tim

Apologies for the delay.

I have replied to your Private Message.

Thanks

Debbie