would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband constant issues with internet connection

26 REPLIES 26
Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Hi there,

I've been a talktalk customer for many years, without any real issues, until I decided to upgrade to Fibre Broadband. Since upgrading to Fibre Broadband back in July 18 I have at least 7 Bright Sparks engineers and 5 Open Reach engineers out to resolve my internet issues, although they seem to resolve the issue, at the time of the visit, the problem is only fixed on a temporary basis. 

I lose my Internet connection again and yet again, I go through the cycle of reporting the problem with the Talktalk Agents/Managers. In fact I had a Bright Sparks Engineer this Monday, who couldn't resolve the issue, so an appointment was made for an Open Reach Engineer who came out on Tuesday (the next day) who fixed the issue, only for the internet to go down again at 9pm that night.  I then phoned the helpline again, on Wednesday 28th, and they've now arranged for a appointment for another Bright Sparks Engineer to come out on the 5th Dec, only for this forever cycle to begin again.

I feel there is more to this than meets the eye, when the engineer goes to the Fibre Box and starts messing around with the cables, this doesn't resolve the issue.  A further investigation is needed to look at the cable running from the box to the home and this should be checked, to see if this is causing the issue.

Does anybody else have these problems?

Best regards

Stuart Gilmour

Cheers Stuart
Community Team

Hi Gilmour70,

Please can you update your forum profile to include your telephone number so that we can look into this further. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Thank you Michelle I have now updated my details.

Best regards

Stuart Gilmour

Cheers Stuart
Community Team

Hi Gilmour70,

Thanks. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection does look very unstable. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line? Have the engineers also tested with different routers?

Thanks

Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for responding.  I did have an engineer that came out on Wednesday morning the 5th Dec and he didn't use a different router, when testing my line.  He tested the line using his hand held device and explained that the copper wire from the box to the house was earthing and he did mention that that there was very slight interference on the phone line, but not a significant amount to be concerned about.  This was escalated to Open Reach and they were to resolve this within 72 hours from when the Talktalk engineer completed his test.  The internet came back online and I was able to connect to the internet at 20 MPs later the same day.  This is still very slow, as I should be getting a higher speed of 70mps plus, as I am on the XL Faster Fibre package and my house is 300 Mtrs from the box.  Looking forward to getting this problem resolved.

Best regards

Stuart Gilmour

Cheers Stuart
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Gilmour70,

Ok thanks for the update. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

I was given a D-Link router back in August 18, to help resolve this issue, but this has the same problem.  However, if feel that you need to send another router please send and maybe this may resolve this issue.

Cheers Stuart

Cheers Stuart
Community Team

Hi Stuart,

I've ordered you a new router to test with, should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Thanks

Chris

Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Hi Chris/Michelle,

Thanks, I kept using the wi-fi hub at 20mps and there was a local power cut on Wednesday Evening 12th Dec.  When the electric came back on, the speed went upto 40-50 mps.  

This was ok until Saturday Afternoon (15th Dec), when it was raining and the internet went off again only for it to come on later on in the evening.  However, the internet has now gone off again this afternoon (16th Dec).  

I have now connected the broadband router that you just sent and this is yet to connect to the internet.

I would appreciate it if you escalate this problem, as I upgraded to Fibre in July and I've had nothing but problems, with countless numbers of engineers visiting my house, with them only solving the problem in the short term.

Best regards

Stuart Gilmour

Cheers Stuart
Community Team

Hi Stuart 

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line tests have not detected any faults but I can see a high number of re connections on the line.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket? I can then pass this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

The router isn't connected to the test socket.  However, the internet connection did come back on this morning, but I still don't have a stable line.  

I would appreciate it if you forward this to your network team.

Best regards

Stuart Gilmour

Cheers Stuart
Community Team

Hi Stuart

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket to see if the connection remains stable at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

Just got in from work and connected the router, via the Microfilter, to the test socket.

The router is connected to the internet, please could you test the connection.

Cheers Stuart Gilmour

Cheers Stuart
Community Team

Hi Gilmour70,

Thanks for confirming this. Have you previously tested the router at the test socket? If the connection is still dropping now that the router is connected at the test socket then please let us know and we'll pass this straight over for further investigation.

Thanks

Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

My router has been connected to the test socket many times, when on the phone to India and when the 8 engineers have visited my house. 

Should I leave the router connected to the test socket until it drops?

Cheers Stuart

Cheers Stuart
Community Team

Hi Stuart

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you leave the router at the test socket and post back on this thread if the connection drops in this set up?

Debbie

Clohayes94
First Timer

Hi Michelle I have the same problem I am wondering if you can send me a new router for testing purposes to check if this helps

Chloe hayes
martswain
Philosopher

@Clohayes94 

Please start your own topic if you need help to resolve your problem.

Martin
Gilmour70
Popular Poster

Hi there,

With the broadband connected to the test socket, my internet dropped on the morning of last Saturday and Sunday (19th/20th Jan), this was after some light rain on the same day.  However, this weekend it dropped from Saturday Afternoon until the early hours of Monday morning (26th to 28th Jan), after a substantial amount of rain.  It appears that everytime it rains I lose connection and after it has stopped raining and dries up I get connected again.  Not looking forward to the next time it rains. 

Are you able to resolve this?

Best regards

Stuart Gilmour

Cheers Stuart
Community Team

Hi Stuart,

Line test is showing that your line is potentially being affected by an incident, unfortunately it doesn't give much more information than this. How has it been so far today?

Chris