Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband pricing

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

As my contract is almost at an end I thought I would check the latest prices on the TalkTalk website. There are two packages offered:

a) Fibre, average download speeds of 38mb

b) Superfast Fibre, average download speeds of 67Mb

Both packages are priced at £26 a month for 18 months.

When speaking to a TalkTalk agent I was told that the 'standard' price for Fibre is £36 a month and I am receiving a £10 a month discount. How can the standard price be £36 a month when £26 a month is available to everybody?

I am currently on 'Faster Fibre' (up to 38Mb). I was told that when I renew I can get a fibre boost giving me the Superfast Fibre (up to 67Mb). How is this fibre boost achieved and why isn't it applied to existing customers anyway as there is no difference in cost?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @redmelons 

Standard out of contract prices are shown here Our pricing.  Out of contract pricing is always the full MRP (TalkTalk calls it MRC).

The most recent TalkTalk press release is here The Fast and Fair

You'll see that discounted prices are available up to 26 September for Faster Fibre Broadband with Speed Boost for just £26 a month. And Faster Fibre for £23.50.

Industry reports say that new customers are being offered Faster Fibre Broadband with Speed Boost for just £23.50 a month up to 26 September but this currently appears to be offered only via some intermediaries rather than direct from TalkTalk.  Some intermediaries are discounting even harder to capture customers for TalkTalk and to counter the price war with Vodafone.

The Faster Fibre is Openreach's 40/10 product (downstream capped by Openreach at 40Mbps at the cabinet). The Speed Boost is Openreach's 80/20 product. TalkTalk just orders the appropriate product.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Thanks Gondola, your reply was helpful. I note that the ISPreview article does use words such as 'Confusingly' and 'oddity' so it's not just me who is confused 🙂

How is the 'fibre boost' achieved? Does it use the existing fibre router?
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi redmelons 

The Faster Fibre is Openreach's 40/10 product (downstream capped by Openreach at 40Mbps at the cabinet). The Speed Boost is Openreach's 80/20 product. TalkTalk just orders the appropriate product.

The fibre router supports both products.

Your metallic line from the street cabinet may or may not support the higher speeds. Only an examination of the VDSL statistics from your router will reveal the potential.  But be aware that TalkTalk don't offer the Speed Boost (80/20) product if the access line speed is not significantly increased over the speed you have now.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer