cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband speed and router not being recognised.

21 REPLIES 21
shipboard
Participant

I have Just completed the stabilising period of two weeks after my upgrade to fibre. My speed on both wireless and cable connection is 21 Mbps this is at the lower end of my estimated speeds that Talktalk quoted which was 17Mbps and 29.3 Mbps. During the stabilising period it ran for quite a few days at the Maximum 29.3 Mbps. When I run a live connection test it states that my broadband connection speed could be improved, another anomaly is that the system cannot recognise the router I am using, this is a D link Model DSL 3782 supplied by Talktalk.

I have tried re-setting the router however the speeds are the same on both the wireless and cable connections. I would welcome any advice on how to increase the speed.

Community Team

Hi shipboard

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that your line is in sync at 22.4mb.

How often are you rebooting the router?

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

shipboard
Participant

Thank you for your reply, the router is constantly on it is connected to the master socket which is an open reach master socket 5C.  It has only been re- booted once when I disconnected it for 30 mins, this was to re-set it to see if that would improve the speed.

Community Team

Hi shipboard

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to remove the face plate and connect the router and filter directly at the test socket for 48hrs, without rebooting the router?

We can then check the connection stats again to see if DLM increases the speed in this set up.

Thanks

Debbie

shipboard
Participant

Will do.

Community Team

Hi shipboard

Thank you. Please can you post on this thread on Thursday and we can check the connection stats/speed again.

Debbie

shipboard
Participant

OK Debbie.

shipboard
Participant

Debbie, ref your previous post. My router has has been connected to the test socket for 48hrs, should I leave it connected to the test socket whilst you carry out further tests or can I replace the face plate on the socket and connect normally?

During the time connected to the test socket on a couple of occasions I lost my internet connection and had to re- boot the computer to re-connect, I am not sure if this is significant.

Please be aware that should you require any further interaction on my part during the diagnosis of the problem, due to work commitments I will not have access to my computer from 0900hrs Friday 10th Jan until Mon 0900hrs 13th Jan. However as I have stated previously my router is always turned on therefore you will have access to that. Furthermore just before this post I have just checked my download speed and it has dropped significantly and it is currently at 6.6 upload 5.5

Regards.

Shipboard.

Community Team

Hi shipboard

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests are not detecting any faults. Have you tested with a HG633 router?

Thanks

Debbie

shipboard
Participant

The router I have tested with is a D Link DSL 3782, also in my previous post I asked if it was OK to now disconnect from the test socket?

shipboard.

Community Team

Hi shipboard

Apologies, yes you can now remove it from the test socket.

I think we should send a HG633 router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

shipboard
Participant

Yes please.  What is the significance of this router compared to the current one that I have been using for testing?  Also do I reconnect it to the test socket and continue our communications through this thread, or do I start a new thread?

Regards.

shipboard. 

Community Team

Hi

Router on the way.  A different router with a different chipset may handle the connection differently.

Test in the test socket, see if there is any improvement and then reply back in this thread.

Thanks

Karl. 

shipboard
Participant

Received the new router yesterday Monday had it connected to the test socket for over 12 hours now, my download speed is 20.05 upload 4.56.  These values are less than I was receiving on my previous router.

It would appear that the router was not the problem.

shipboard.

Community Team

Hi shipboard

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be ok to allow DLM 48hrs to monitor the connection with the new router connected? We can then check the connection stats again tomorrow.

Thanks

Debbie

shipboard
Participant
OK will do that, and re-post when 48hrs is up
shipboard.
Community Team
shipboard
Participant

Hi  The 48hrs requested connected to the test connection have now elapsed.  My current download speed at this time is 20.59 upload speed 4.47 this is on a wired connection, my wireless connection is slightly less.  An anomaly I have noticed since you sent me the new wireless hub, is I am unable to use the talktalk speed monitor that is in my account under the services tab.  I receive the message Unable to connect to a server try again later.  I have tried several times over the last few days at different times of day but the result is the same. To overcome this I have had to revert to a third party speed test indicator (ookla) to supply you with the above values.  Could it be possible that the firmware on the wireless hub needs updating?      I look forward to your reply.

shipboard. 

Community Team

Hi

DLM has increased the speed yesterday.

Your speed range is showing as 19-29mb.  DLM has now raised the profile to 27mb.

You can also check your speed via Sam Knows Speed Test

Thanks

Karl.