Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Broadband speed has dropped to less than 2 MB/s

17 REPLIES 17
Team Player

Hi,

When I originally upgraded to TalkTalk Fibre approximately a year ago I was enjoying download speeds of between 21 to 24 MB/s. Over the last 6 months or so there has been a steady decline to around half that speed (12 MB/s) and in the last month or so it has dramatically fallen further to less than 2 MB/s at times and streaming services like NOW TV, Netflix, etc have started to become unusable.

I have a HG635 router plugged solely into the master socket via a filter with no landline phone or other items connected. Have tried a new filter and a different router (DSL-3782) during the past two weeks but it has made no difference whatsoever whether plugged into the master or test socket.

Obviously the service I am receiving at present is way below any minimum guarantees for the fibre service. Please could you investigate what is happening please?

Kind regards,

Kerry

Community Star

Hi Kerry, your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during the day. Please check your community profile and add your landline phone number if necessary it is used to identify your account.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Kerry,

I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Team Player

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I don't have a landline phone so I've no idea if there is any noise on the line. The only thing I use the line for is my router - nothing else is plugged into the master socket.

Kind regards,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Are you able to borrow a telephone to test with as we really need to check for a voice (telephone) fault if at all possible, as this could be causing the broadband issue)

Chris

Team Player

Hi,

Apologies for the delay replying - took me some time to borrow a phone to do some testing with.

Anyhow I can confirm that when the phone was plugged into the master socket by itself that there was a clear dialing tone and no crackling or other noise on the line was present. I was able to dial out and receive voice calls.

Also tried the phone plugged into the socket on the micro filter so that it was sharing the line with the router and the results where the same.

However at the present time I am still only getting download speeds of between 1.7 to 1.9 MB/s when measured connected by wi-fi to the router.

Kind regards,

Kerry

Team Player

Hi,

I appreciate there are many other members problems to deal with and I don't wish to appear to be pushy but is anything regarding my speed issue being done?

I have browsed other speed complaints on the forum and it seems everyone else is getting 40 MB/s plus and asking why they are 5 or 10 MB/s down on their minimum guaranteed speed - in other words only 10 or 20%.

By comparison my fibre broadband service is 90 to 95% down on the guaranteed minimum! Clearly there is a significant problem somewhere causing this issue and it needs investigating and rectifying sooner rather than later.

The setup in my address has not been touched or disturbed since my fibre service started and I was getting a 27MB/s download speed on the going live date. I have tried two routers (HG635 and DSL3782), new micro filter, new cable from filter to router and borrowed a landline phone to confirm voice calling/receiving is fine with no apparent noise present on the line.

I would suggest the problem is therefore external to my address, perhaps at the local cabinet or even then exchange itself and needs investigating at those locations.

At present the monthly fee of £25 I am paying to TalkTalk for a practically unusable fibre service would be money better spent on a mobile broadband device or cable broadband.

Kind regards,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've passed the drop in speed over to our Network Team now. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update for you.

Thanks

Hi Kerry-L-O,

Our Network Team have advised that the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit so I'm just sending you a Personal Message to confirm some details.

Please do not post any personal information on the Community, reply via Personal Message (PM) only.

Thanks

Team Player

Hi,

As instructed I'm bumping this thread. PM'd my details regarding an engineer visit earlier today (Thu 6/6) around midday.

Kind regards,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the PM, we'll let you know when we receive confirmation that the engineer visit is booked

Thanks

Chris

Hi Kerry,

Our network team have confirmed that the engineer visit is booked for the 12th AM (08:00-13:00), please let us know how you get on

Chris

Team Player

Hi,

The Openreach engineer visited as arranged today regarding my speed issue.

Checks showed that physically the line itself was fine. The problem was at the cabinet some 750 metres away - my line had been capped to just 2MBps by the DLM!

The engineer cleared the cap and the speed immediately rose to 28MBps at the router and to 23.5MBps on wifi connected devices.

I asked the engineer why this had happened and he couldn't give me a definite answer except to say that the DLM would have detected an issue and reduced the speed in order to stabilise the connection but didn't restore the speed afterwards like it was supposed to do. Apparently the engineer encounters this unnecessary capping issue frequently.

So at the moment the speed is comparable to what I was getting initially when I upgraded to the fibre service. I will monitor the speed over the coming days and report back should it decide to drop again dramatically.

Kind regards,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how the speed compares over the next few days 🙂

Thanks

Team Player

Hi,

I've been monitoring the download speed several times a day at my address and since the Openreach engineer removed the 2MBps DLM cap I have been getting around 23MBps when connected via wi-fi.

However since yesterday evening (Mon 17-06-2019) the speed has more than halved and is varying between 4MBps and 12MBps with around 8MBps being the most consistent speed.

I am taking the speed readings by visiting fast.com on my mobile phone connected to the router via wi-fi. No other devices are switched on and connected to the router when I am doing this.

If this speed reduction continues I can only assume it is a DLM issue again as the engineer could find no problems relating physically to the line itself when he performed testing last week. I believe the issue is at the local cabinet my line is supplied from.

Kind regards,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line test which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Just to confirm, how does the speed compare if you connect wired?

Thanks

Team Player

Hi,

Since yesterday evening my download speed has returned to around 22MBps as before.

Why it was only a third of that speed for 36 hours or so is a bit of a mystery - presumably the DLM.

Will continue to monitor and report back if it drops again for a prolonged period.

Many thanks and regards,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if the speed does drop again.

Thanks