cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Fibre Connection up and down, getting worse everytime.

16 REPLIES
Highlighted
Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer

Our Fibre Connection keeps dropping in speed and is very inconsistent in what it drops to and goes back up to, had the Talktalk router replaced with a brandnew top notch netgear router and was happy to see the best speed our connection had been, it sat perfectly stable at 20Mbps on the connection down, and 2Mbps on the up.

The last month or so though the speed has never been back to 20, it drops frequently, and everytime it drops it gets down even lower than the previous times.

Sometimes the connection goes all together but comes back after a little while, its not that often though.

Its not the router and i haven't been switching it on and off or restarting its the connection.

Help much appreciated as borderline switching provider at this point after other problems.

Thanks.

KeithFrench
Community Star

It's difficult to be sure without seeing the line stats for your non-TalkTalk router, perhaps you could paste them here? Also can you do a speed test for both wired & wireless connections without any other devices using the router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer

Wireless speedtestWireless speedtest

Screenshot_20170519-153020.jpg

Im currently unable to perform a wired test due to my laptop which is the only device that can reach a wired connection is broken.

These are the best I can do as of now.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I assume that this is when the speed is slow? That is low for a fibre connection, but it all depends on how far away you live from your fibre cabinet. After 300 meteres the VDSL2 signal drops away dramatically.

Based on the 17M download on the router, a 16M wireless speed test is about right.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer
Problem i have is that it sat perfect at 20 and the wireless speed was much better. Then one day it decided to drop down to lower and lower speeds, it does go back up but only to low 18s on the throughput for the router, not 20 and almost as fast drops down to low 17s. For fibre its not great.
KeithFrench
Community Star

As I said the first thing to work out is how far away you are in metres from the fibre cabinet. If you can tell me that, I can work out the best fibre speed your router can achieve & from that I can help you make sure that you are getting the best possible constant WiFi speed.

Keith

Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer
About 1235m away from the exchange
KeithFrench
Community Star

No not your exchange, your fibre cabinet:-

Fibre Cabinet.png

Keith

Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer
Ah my bad, Not sure of that, actually i dont even know where it is.
Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer
Think i found it. 490 metres give or take direct and indirect 800 metres
KeithFrench
Community Star

I'll take the indirect, as it will be how the cables run. 800 metres is not good, this puts the router at about 18 - 19M, so you saying the router at max achieving the 20M is about the very best possible speed, but it is very dependant on the cable quality. Personally, I think the 17M your router showed in the screenshot you sent is about right.

Whilst I also think the wireless speedtest is also about right, I can certainly help you make sure the wireless is running at its best if you want. Wireless speeds can most certainly drop for no apparent reason & I think this might be the cause of the problem.

Keith

Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer
The wifi speed is consistant and naturally is lower by a percentage than the throughput. But its mostly the up and down of the throughput daily/weekly when for a while it was perfect 20.00Mbps and stuck like it for a long time. That has now turned into this which is annoying.
KeithFrench
Community Star

The WiFi speed cannot be lower than the throughput, because throughput is something totally different and is directly related to the number of wireless clients connected to the router, and the lowest WiFi mode in use.

By throughput I assume you are referring to the router's downstream line rate (the 17M in your screenshot), a wireless speedtest will always be lower than that (generally about 80% of the downstream line rate).

Keith

Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer
Yeh thats what i meant. The downstream speed
KeithFrench
Community Star

So after all this, I am not sure where you can go with it as it all seems correct for your line length from the fibre cabinet. My offer still stands to help you check the quality of your WiFi signal, if you want it.

Keith

Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer
Think im ok, appreciate the help and all though. Will see if a TalkTalk employee wants to have their say before i do anything else.
Goin to wait out this post and see if they reply.
Cheers for the assistant though my friend.
Sl33pingKattZ
Sightseer

Any TalkTalk employee available to help out as the speed has dropped even more as of today.