cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Fibre Speed Boost ... 'Speed'.. 'Boost'.. Really??

10 REPLIES
Highlighted
Rob671
Chatterbox

Despite several hours worth of telephone calls, online chats and logging a formal, I'm still no further forward.

I switched to TalkTalk earlier this month from plusnet, tempted by competitive pricing and Faster Fibre with Fibre Speed Boost for an extra £5. Before signing up, I contacted TalkTalk via online chat to check the service available at my address and used the 'fibre availabilty checker' - assured that I would obtain speeds in the region of 50-68Mbps. This cross-referenced with speeds available according to BT.

We have a modern home (no wiring issues), quite close to local exchange and cabinet. The new fibre connection is working just fine (although the standard issue TalkTalk router is not as good as the BT Smart Hub I was using); with a consistent download speed of 40-45Mbps. All this I was getting previously with plusnet but on their standard fibre package, i.e. not an additional £5pm 'speed boost'.

The talktalk fault team have confirmed there's no issues on the line; customer service team seem to think "it's fine" as I'm getting >35Mbps - the guaranteed minimum.

Will anyone at talktalk actually take ownership of this issue?

Is 50-68Mbps actually achievable? If so, who can resolve it - talktalk/openreach? It not, why provide unrealistic estimate speeds and why has talktalk not already offered to remove the £5pm boost? I would get 40Mbps without 'Fibre Speed Boost'

I've reset the modem for 30mins.. Any help/thoughts welcome..

Rob671
Chatterbox
*..logging a formal complaint
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Rob

just a heads up that if you're not happy and you've already raised a complaint following the TalkTalk Complaint process then as you have a complaint in progress the TalkTalk Community support team that are superb at helping us here on Community cannot, regrettably, get involved.

TalkTalk's management team will resolve the complaint directly with you.

But on a practical, pragmatic approach I'd say that if a modest increase in speed above 40Mbps is all that can be obtained then I'd just drop the Faster Fibre Speed Boost.  It's only on a 30 day rolling contract so you can drop it anytime after the first 30 days.  I'm sure the TalkTalk team would refund the £5 for the first month.

As for what's possible, well that depends on line conditions and these are not under the control of TalkTalk.  Openreach do deploy measures like G.inp, a technique that works at the street cabinet to cope with impairments to the line, and in some areas G.vector, a technique to cope with increasing levels of crosstalk between fibre enabled lines as more and more people take fibre services.  In the case of severe crosstalk it is sometimes possible to rewire at the street cabinet to reduce inter-line crosstalk but this is entirely at the discretion of Openreach.

At your home using a pre-filtered master socket like the NTE5c and connecting the router there is usually the best way under your control to optimise Fibre to the Cabinet performance.

Gondola - I'm a PlusTV customer *
Rob671
Chatterbox
Thank you for that Gondola - appreciate you taking the time.

I've a MK3 openreach master socket, the router plugged in directly and I'm using a wired connection for the main household pc rather than Wifi. Wasn't aware of the NTE5c, so thank you for that info - though I'm pretty sure it won't find me an additional 20Mbps!

We're quite rural, not many households in the immediate vicinity and although the exchange has been updated it's feasible (likely even) that I'm the first down our street to 'sign up' for anything other than broadband or an average fibre package - at 47, I'm one of the younger dwellers and consider myself somewhat of a trailblazer by local standards.

Is 'openreach cabinet tinkering' even a possible solution in this scenario? You lost me re G.inp / G.vector etc. but I feel sure there's something in all of that to improve things.

As it stands and as you say, I've little choice other than for the TalkTalk compliant cogs to slowly turn..

Thanks again.

Rob671
Chatterbox

So.. for those interested.. I am now the proud owner of 'actually getting what I'm paying for'. Despite numerous 'fob offs' from talktalk, they finally agreed to get Openreach involved. The DSLAM has been reset on the local BT network and hey presto I'm getting 68mbps - on the money according to talktalk's very own fibre availability checker. 

Although pleased the issue is finally resolved, talktalk were extremely poor throughout. My  persistence paid off in the end..

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

hi 

pleased to hear someone is finally getting the service paying for, do you know what this DSLAM reset is??? 

i will ask them to reset mine 

cheers 

Rob671
Chatterbox

Hi there.. Well it seems I spoke too soon anyway! On the day the Openreach engineer visited and reset the 'DSLAM', I was getting 68mbps as mentioned. However, the speed has fluctuated significantly since then and today I'm back down to about 40mbps (which I was getting with Plusnet before switching to Talktalk's 'speed boost'). This seems to be a common theme when looking at other forum messages.

As I understand it, the DSLAM (or B Ras) is effectively a 'wholesale' router that sorts out and regulates bandwith from the local BT exchange/cabinet to households. It splits according to provider - BT/Sky/talktalk etc. It also automatically 'slows down' speed in order to reduce errors, so even if a high speed is achieved temporarily after reset the DSLAM is programed to reduce speed in an attempt to achieve 'error free'.

Its really difficult for Openreach to pinpoint these errors despite the various diagnostic tools they have, mostly caused by interference and line quality I believe.

So, when I have the time and patience to call talktalk again I will - I'm sorry for anyone who works there and has genuine client interests at heart but without exception everyone I've spoken to (tel/online) has been completely and utterly useless - they're painful to talk to, get nothing done without being chased and never proactively update with progress.

At the earliest opportunity I will switch to another provider (I don't think any of them are great), I've come to realise talktalk are cheap for a reason!..

Image result for dslam

en.wikipedia.org
"A DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) is a network device, usually at a telephone company central office, that receives signals from multiple customer Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) connections and puts the signals on a high-speed backbone line using multiplexing techniques."

Rob671
Chatterbox

so.. another update..

I've reset my router (unplugged from the power for 40mins) - and we have 68mbps.

Fingers crossed, sorted now. If the speed drops again it must be that there is sufficient line errors/interference that the DSLAM regulates - in which case I'll be requesting openreach get involved again to investigate.

brandyman
Super Duper Contributor

Your blaming of Openreach may well be right.

But then again despite your previous comment that you live in a moderm house and there are no wiring issues you could be wrong.  No matter how new something maybe it can go wrong at any point. 

It appears you have a problem on either the line or internally within your premises and the problem therefore needs to be conclusively isolated to one or the other before you can move forward.

Rob671
Chatterbox

"blaming of openreach" - I never mentioned any such thing; on the contrary they're the only guys who have the experience, the ability and the equipment to diagnose and remedy on site. But yes, I agree - I'd love for the issue to be isolated, just not at the expense of my time and effort.

The initial purpose of this thread was/is to highlight the incompetence of talktalk to take ownership and offer any effective solution/s, in a timely manner. I've had to drive this forward; evidently a common issue. And how many folk out there that don't know what they're not getting, or that can be bothered to pursue it.

The openreach engineer checked my wiring and indeed rewired the master socket 'just in case' although concluded that any errors aren't within my four walls.

As it stands, after the DSLAM reset on Thursday and a 40min reset of my router today, I'm getting 68mbps - so, content (for now).

From the telegraph pole located at the front of our house, I've noticed that the earth cable is not grounded but instead dangling loose - I suppose this might be an issue for the quality of the line?

Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

The earth cable on the pole near my house has also been cut. I've been told by some it's because the earth wire introduced MORE noise onto telephone lines. My speed seems alright, on a Linux machine running on it's own (i.e. nothing else apart from the router connected to the network at the time) on a wired network connection, I've got it up to 35.6Mbps download and 9.7Mbps upload

I do hope you get to the bottom of the decrease in speeds.