cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speed Boost not up to expected speed.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Beanz

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed hasn't increased, apologies for this.

I have raised this over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit to investigate further.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for arranging the BTOR engineer visit. I have replied to your PM.

I've checked the line stats and can see that it has now been up for over 20 days at around 45Mbps. It seems that the DLM needs a reset. Let's hope BTOR can work some magic!

Cheers,

Beanz🙂

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

The engineer visit has been arranged for Thursday 4th July PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

That's fine, thanks.

I will keep you updated after the visit.

Cheers,

Beanz🙂

Highlighted
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

I have an update after 2 visits by OpenReach.

After changing the cable from my house to the box in the road, putting me on a supposedly quieter line and reseting everything, I am still only getting around 45Mbps!

Apparently, this will now be escalated to other engineers to investigate.

The saga continues!😐

Cheers,

Beanz

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

I'm sorry this is taking so long to resolve, if you don't hear anything beforehand can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check for updates

Chris

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

Apologies for the delay.

Have you received any further updates from the engineers since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

No, I've had no further updates so far. It was Friday afternoon, so maybe it's a bit early.

What I did get at 16.06 on Friday was a text from TalkTalk telling me that my service issue has been resolved! Also, my service status says something similar.

Clearly that is not correct. My d/l speed is unchanged at around 45Mbps, despite all the work that BTOR put in on Thursday and Friday.

Can you look into this please?

Regards,

Beanz

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

Apologies for this.

I have asked our Network Team for an update and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

Openreach have closed this fault. They have advised that they completed work at the cabinet, they also tested 3 different line cards and left notes to advise that this is the fastest speed that the customer is going to gain at this time.

Our Network Team have asked if you can run a couple of wired speed tests?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

This is very disappointing. I was promised a guaranteed minimum of  54.8Mbps and an estimate of between 60.2 and 73.6Mbps, so what happened to that?

There is no point running any more tests because the Openreach engineer could only get around 45Mbps using his equipment.

According to the engineer, my house is under 400m from the cabinet. This should give me a good speed. I think the truth is more like Openreach are not prepared to spend any more time or money trying to resolve this problem.

Where do we go from here?

Beanz 😐

Highlighted

Hi Beanz

Apologies for this.

I can raise a complaint so this can be discussed further with a Complaints Manager. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

I'm not sure it's worth raising a complaint to be honest. If Openreach say that I'm getting the fastest speed they can provide, there's not much they can do about it.

Also, I can't see much point in me carrying on with the Speed Boost if it only boosts the speed by 7Mbps.

Do you think it's worth pursuing this any further?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Regards,

Beanz

Highlighted

Hi

I do agree that raising a complaint will not change the information that BT have given.

It is an unfortunate outcome but if they declare this is the maximum the line will achieve, then we have to reluctantly accept this.

Thanks

Karl.  

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your input and I agree with you.

One question though, where does the minimum guaranteed speed quote come from? Openreach?

Cheers,

Beanz

Highlighted

Hi

openreach will make an initial speed estimate based on speeds across the area.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Team Player

I'm reading about unexpected low speed cases on every UK ISP forum to have a better idea of what's going on with Openreach, and I find this case among those of my interest because Beanz's router stats are amazing but the sync speed is pretty low compared to attenuation and SNR.

In fact, the router itself says that the attainable rate with such SNR/Attenuation should be 58.8/14 instead of 45.7/14

Rummaging here and there I see this is happening to many people on the Openreach network.

Maybe the current cables cannot cope with high frequencies (probably some junction where copper meets alluminium) and the attenuation and SNR aren't proper indicator for that problem.... but, an evil voice in my mind, hopefully wrong, makes me think about an Openreach trick to cope with the problem of not having a suitable fibre to manage the heavy traffic from the DSLAM to the Exchange in some areas... especially those areas without speeds over 80mbps (typically areas with no g.inp, g.fast or fttp, where even the Exchange is rubbish).

In my case, in 3 years, I've seen a decrease in speed of 10mbps, typical of crosstalk when  more users join the network, but asking for a report to PS shows no crosstalk at all, no interference, etc.... that's why I'm interested in case like this one and all the others where everything is fine but there isn't any way to reach the proper faster speed that should be available.