cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speed Boost not up to expected speed.

83 REPLIES 83
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi,

I recently renewed my contract for another 18 months, this time with the Fibre Speed Boost.

At first there was hardly any increase in speed, so I did what was recommended and powered off the modem/router for at least 30 mins. Since then (5 days ago) the download speed has increased from roughly 38Mbps to about 47Mbs. Not exactly a massive improvement, I think you'll agree.

I was promised a minimum of 54Mbps.

The question is, will the speed improve over time or is there a problem?

By the way, I am using the BT Openreach fibre modem that was installed when I started using fibre back in 2014. Could that be causing the reduced speed?

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Beanz

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Beanz,

Your sync speed is currently 49.4Mbps and line test is showing a potential voice (telephone) fault

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Here is a photo of my setup:

BTOR 1.jpg

As you can see, I am still using a BTOR Fibre modem which was installed in 2014 when I first started using TT Fibre. There is 1 cordless phone plugged into the master socket, that's all. There are no extensions. I don't use the landline phone very often these days, but the line sounds reasonably quiet to me.

I could connect the modem to the test socket if you like. I doubt it would help though. I have disconnected the phone for now.

Do you think a more modern integrated router would help?

Regards,

Beanz

Highlighted
Community Team

Thanks for the information. I can send a router to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Yes please, thanks very much.

Cheers,

Beanz🙂

Highlighted
Community Team

I've ordered the router, should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Thanks Chris, I'll report back with the results.

Beanz 🙂
Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Great service, the HG633 Router arrived yesterday!

I've connected it up and sadly the d/l speed has gone down slightly to about 44Mbps. I left it off for 30mins and got the same result.

What do you make of that?

Beanz:-)

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Beanz,

Thanks for testing this. The line test is still detecting a potential voice fault. Could you confirm if the voice service is still ok with a clear dial tone and I'll pass this straight over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Beanz... I see that you are using an ECI modem. These devices have incompatibilities on the BT openreach network. Especially if your local cabinet is Huawei. Many Huawei cabinets now support G.inp which gives more speed (20%) under certain circumstances.

1) Change your modem for a Huawei Hg612 (especially if you can update the firmware to a G.inp hacked firmware)

2) Use a Talktalk proprietary super router (at least for testing purposes) which supports G.inp to test whether G.inp gets switched on. On your line.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle,

Interesting to hear about the possible voice fault, however I can confirm that the voice service is working normally and the line sounds reasonably clear to me.

Just for your information, I was connected to the test socket over night with no change in speed. I am back to the normal socket again now to check the voice service.

Regards,

Beanz

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi johnhoe,

Thanks for your input. I am now using the Huawei HG633 router kindly supplied by TT and to be honest, the d/l speed has slightly reduced.

G.inp is a new one on me. Does the HG633 support it and how do I know if it's active?

Cheers, Beanz

Highlighted
Community Star

Are you using the new router independently of the Openreach modem? You do not need that any more.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi ferguson,

Yes, I have the HG633 connected directly to the master socket exactly how the BTOR modem was.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Beanz

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Beanz,

I've logged this over to our network team, can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

OK Chris, will do.

Thanks,

Beanz🙂

Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Beanz.

Please see link for explanation of G.INP and problems with certain equipment.

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/ginp-retransmission.htm

I believe Talktalk have update software installed on the HG633 that should have made it compatible with G.INP. But that is only half the story... Unless you have an updated Huawei street cabinet (rather than an ECI one that is NOT compatible) you will never gain the extra speed that this error correcting protocol provides.Use the Kitz website to find whether your local cabinet is compatible. I am with Talktalk and my speed increases from around 45M to 65M when I use G.INP compatible equipment. In other words it is the BT Openreach infrastructure that is typically the limiting factor rather than Talktalk themselves.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris or Michelle,

Any update on this issue, please?

Also, thanks johnhoe for the G.INP info. The HG633 router I have now is on firmware V2.00t, is that the latest version?

I will try and find out which type of BTOR cabinet I'm connected to. That Kitz website is a mine of useful information. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Beanz🙂