cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speed Boost not up to expected speed.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Beanz,

Ok, please let us know how the connection/speed compares.

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

OK, I will keep a close eye on it and report back.

Cheers, Beanz

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Beanz... If you are able to replace your Mk2 BT Main Socket with a Mk4 type with cams (no insertion tool needed) then you might well get a 15% speed increase. I can confirm that both a neighbour and myself had speeds go up from 50M to 60M just by replacing the main socket.
Highlighted
Community Star

@johnhoe  You cannot replace Openreach sockets yourself.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

"@johnhoe  You cannot replace Openreach sockets yourself"

I didn't say that I did it myself!

Highlighted
Community Star

OK, just to clear up that it is not a voluntary option and is charged at a considerable cost unless the existing Openreach socket is found to be faulty at their end.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@ferguson The OP has had his case escalated to BTOR. During a visit from an BTOR engineer One of the ways they might bring the speed up to expected is by replacing the Main socket. True? Yes? Thanks...

Highlighted
Community Star

Hey, so if the BTOR engineer judges that the master socket needs to be replaced because it is faulty then yes, if you had said that in the first place there wouldn't be an argument, just saying that your initial comment was far from clear. Yes? Thanks ...

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hope it's clear now. I am a BTOR engineer!
Highlighted
Community Star

Then you should know better.

Highlighted
Popular Poster
I do.
Highlighted
Community Star

No you don't. If you choose to give advice here please make it accurate and clear. Now please leave the TalkTalk team to deal with this.

Highlighted
Popular Poster
OK. I won't come on here again. Your attitude is extremely negative and unhelpful.

Why on earth would the OP attempt to do this work himself when he has a BTOR engineer coming out to him?

I have read the thread. I have tried to be helpful and bring the option of replacing the main socket into the discussion so that the OP might realise that is an important consideration.
Highlighted
Community Star

I repeat, if you had made it clear that this is an option that the OR engineer can look at then it would have been accurate. Instead you simply suggested that "...If you are able to replace your Mk2 BT Main Socket with a Mk4 type..." You then went on to make claims about improvements in performance which are unsupportable.

If you are indeed an OR engineer then it is highly irresponsible of you to prejudge the situation based on a forum post. I would imagine that only the engineer on the ground can make the appropriate decision based in conjunction with what TalkTalk have advised.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Keep calm guys!

Just to make it clear, I do not have a BTOR engineer visit booked at the moment. I have decided to wait for a few days to see if the DLM does anything to improve the speed by itself.

Do you think I'm wasting my time?

I appreciate any help on this.

Beanz🙂

Highlighted
Community Star

@Beanz  Apologies, I knew that. I just got embroiled with the so-called OR guy talking rubbish. At least you know what to fear if they do turn up. They are not all like that to be fair, but many are given the reports you read on here. 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

No apologies required. I don't know either of you, so I'm not sure who to believe.

Anyway, back to the line sync speed. Is it worth waiting for DLM or am I wasting my time?

Does anyone have any experience of DLM ramping up the speed? If so, about how long did it take?

Thanks for any info.

Beanz🙂

Highlighted

Hi Beanz,

How are you getting on? Have you noticed any improvement since your last post?

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Hi Michelle,
Thanks for getting back to me. I am away from home this week, but have left the router on.
When I looked before I left it was still showing a sync speed of around 45Mbps. Still below the guaranteed minimum.
I'll be back on here next week if nothing has changed.

Regards, Beanz
Highlighted

Hi Beanz

Thanks for your reply.

I will check the connection stats again on Friday morning to see if there has been any change in the speed.

Thanks

Debbie