cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speed Boost not up to expected speed.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi rik,

Thanks for taking an interest in this.

My router stats are still much the same, except that the line has now been up solidly for over 46 days with no change!

I'm very disappointed that Openreach cannot or will not give me the speed I was promised. I was told that when the lines were installed in the late 80's, they used cheap aluminium cables and there was nothing they could do about it.

They did say they will need to be upgraded in the near future to be compatible with BT's new G.Fast service. I'm not holding my breath though!

Cheers,

Beanz🙂

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Beanz,

about g.fast I'm not sure can be of help in your case (and mine) because it requires a short distance from the cabinet (500m). If the data your router is showing are right, you should have the cabinet right at 500m so maybe you can take advantage of this techology.  However it was originally designed for 250m. Probably it's more interesting the g.inp protocol on the standard VDSL2 (and you'll get that for sure along with g.fast cabinet upgrade)

I've seen the Openreach plans for my area and in April 2020 they should upgrade the DSLAM in my street cabinet so should be available both g.inp + g.fast or g.inp alone on the current VDSL2. I'll test/write something about it when that happens. I'm at 700m from the cabinet so in my case g.inp would be even more of help than in your case.

I suppose the g.inp triggers automatically on the current VDSL2 line as soon as it is available because the TT router already manages g.inp when present. The g.fast on the contrary needs another contract (ultrafast) and I suggest buy that only after a g.inp test and if really needed. I mean, Ultrafast could be far worse than g.inp, or could be a bit better but not worths the money.

PS: I've read that Openreach disable g.inp for lines when they detect some routers they don't like (despite such router can manage g.inp). So it's important to have an OR compatible router, not only a router with g.inp on paper.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi rik,

What I meant was that OR said they will have to upgrade the cables where I live to be able to offer a G.Fast service. I don't want it myself, but I would like to get a decent speed on the current fibre technology. Hopefully, when they upgrade that might be possible. I am under 400m from the cabinet, so I should be getting at least 60Mbps IMO.

Where did you find the OR plans for your area? Is it publicly available?

Cheers,

Beanz

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Beanz!

Surely if they install g.fast in your cabinet + change the cables, you'll find yourself automatically on VDSL2+g.inp and along with better cables you'll improve the speed a lot without changing anything on your part.

Where did you find the OR plans for your area? Is it publicly available?

Sincerely I don't remember. Maybe somewhere when I was trying to locate my street cabinet.

If you don't mind to tell me your postcode (maybe in a private message) I can try to find as much info as possible on your cabinet.