would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speed Boost

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl, 

thank you.

I am in work until early evening today so will test when I get home.

if these are still consistent I assume this effectively means that these speeds are the best I’m going to get?

Regards

Larry

Community Team

Hi

If new Powerline Adapters have been tested and these have also been tested in different locations in the home and the speeds remain consistent in each location then the speeds may not be improved further.

Thanks

Karl. 

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the update.

Just a question, or possible alternative. 

I've been reading on here from other posters about moving the master socket and wondered if this was an option?

My master socket at the moment is in another room, on the same floor, but about 40 feet away from where the PC is, and therefore my only option is to use PLA's to connect.

If the master socket were in the same room, and I could connect the PC directly into the router, this might well solve the issue?

Other items such as SMART TV currently work fine on the PLA's, so these could still be used if this is a workable alternative?

Regards

Larry

Community Team

Hi

BT Openreach can move or relocate a master socket but will charge £128 to do this.

I've routed ethernet cables and sockets in my house, including upstairs so Powerline Adapters are not needed.  Cost me about £40 for a reel of ethernet cable.

Thanks

Karl. 

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

Thank you for this.

I had read on another thread that some Talk Talk Engineers were now allowed and qualified to do this

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Move-master-socket/m-p/2314090#M730470

But then reading on I think it was referred back to OpenReach, so maybe that's not the case?

Larry

Community Team

Hi Larry

TalkTalk engineers can usually fit extension sockets but only openreach can relocate the master socket as it often involves moving the external line from where it enters the property.

Thanks

Karl. 

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hello all!!,

Well I've just purchased a long cable that will run from my router directly to the PC, and run six speed tests. 

First 3 were on the existing set up with PLA's connected to the router and my desktop. 

Results on download speeds were 33.1, 32.5, 32.4. Upload 7.7,8.2,7.7

I then plugged the new cable from the router directly to the PC and the results were 56.9,55.7 and 57.0, with uploads of 14.7 each time.

It would therefore appear, as suggested, that I am not going to get an improvement when using the PLA's.

Larry

Community Team

Hi Larry,

Thanks for letting us know and I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased with the new cable.

Thanks