Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speed Boost

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

The Engineer has completed his checks, and we also ran a speed check on a laptop plugged directly into the router.

The speed check on the laptop came in at approx. 62mbps, which is the kind of speeds I would expect.

We then ran another speed check on the laptop from the nearest powerline adaptor to the router, and this came in at just over 30mbps.

We then ran a third check over Wi Fi on the laptop, and in the same room as the router it was just over 50mbps, but then slowing the further we moved away (as you would expect).

The conclusion that the Engineer has come to is that it is the powerline adaptors that are slowing the download speed to the desktop and other connected items. 

Larry

Community Team

Hi Larry

You previously ran a speed test with just the router and computer connected wired? (no powerlines) and the speed was still low?

Thanks

Debbie

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie, I did a while back on a borrowed laptop, and that didn't show much improvement in speed.

Unfortunately I don't have access to this laptop very often, but the checks he did this morning were run with me watching, and these were the results he got.

Community Team

Hi Larry

Do you have a device you can connect now (wired) to run a speed test on with the powerline adapters removed?

Thanks

Debbie

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

Unfortunately not.

I can see if I can borrow that laptop again sometime but it won't be in the next couple of days.

Larry

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

I managed to get the laptop tonight and ran a series of tests, which hopefully you can see at your end?

The first 3 were with the laptop connected with a cable direct into the router.

The next three were the laptop connected to a cable from a powerline adaptor.

The next six were all laptop on Wi Fi, the first three in another room, then three with the laptop in the same room as the router (these were very inconsistent).

The last three were on the desktop connected to the same cable as the one used on the laptop.

As you can see there is a significant improvement when the laptop was connected direct to the router, with results at the sort of level I would expect.

Regards

Larry

Community Team

Hi Larry

Did you purchase the powerline adapters from TalkTalk?

Thanks

Debbie

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I am currently using 3 adaptors and they were all purchased from Talk Talk.

Larry

Community Team

Hi Larry

Thanks for your reply. I can send replacement powerline adapters to see how the speed compares, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

Yes please. 

Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Thank you

Larry

Community Team

Hi Larry

The replacement powerline adapters are on the way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

I've just received my delivery, but unfortunately I've been sent a Wi Fi Extender Kit instead of the powerline adaptors!!

Larry

Community Team

Hi Larry

I've checked the order and this is showing as powerline adapters.

Does this have an ethernet port on it?

Thanks

Debbie

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

CE006291-B927-4ADE-9EDC-5F647AD106D9.jpeg

15E1FD5B-88A1-49B4-89F9-CEE3057F7C2B.jpeg

Hi Debbie,

It is definitely a Wi Fi Extender Kit, and that is what is listed on the delivery note.

Larry

Community Team

Hi Larry

They look like powerline adapters

Does this have an ethernet port on it?

Thanks

Community Team
KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes these PLAs do have, in addition to the WiFi extender component, an Ethernet port on the extender unit. This means that the Ethernet connection between the router & network connector unit handles all WiFi and one Ethernet connection over your mains electricity.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

I Debbie,

No, this is definitely the Wi Fi Extender kit, as I am using one of these as well.

The powerline adaptors are now on your site as Network Connectors. https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/40

I am currently using three of these, so ideally need 3 replacements please.

Larry

IMG_5189.JPG

Community Team

Hi Larry

Not all your adapters should be faulty, we sent one for testing to see if this helps.

This is a powerline adapter, Keith has one of these and you can connect using wireless or wired connection (please see Keith's post)

Thanks

Debbie

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

I have used this as described.

I have disconnected everything else so that I am just using the one adaptor at the moment which is connected to the desktop PC I am currently using. So my connection is from the Wi Fi Hub into one adaptor, then the adaptor into the PC.

I have run a few tests now with this set up, and also by changing the adaptor that is plugged into the Wi Fi Hub, but still only getting approx. 38mbps.

On my Router dashboard, there are two 'ip' addresses showing as connected via Ethernet, is this correct when only my PC is connected? 

It also shows my current speed to the router is 66.6mbps.

Larry