cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speed Boost

Community Team

Hi larrywilkie,

Could you run a speed test on a wireless device such as a mobile phone and let us know how the speed compares

Thanks

Chris

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

just ran four speed tests on mobile.

The highest average speed I got was 57.1. It did go to over 60 during that test, but 57.1 was the average.

All of these tests were run in the same room as the router.

Larry

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi again Chris,

Just out of interest, I tried a wireless speed test next to my existing Wi Fi extender, and it was running at about 5.5 - 6 mbps. I then plugged in the new one you have sent this morning and it was up over 50, so we have at least resolved that side issue if it's ok for me to hang on to the replacement you sent?

Larry

Community Team

Thanks for running the tests, yes you can keep hold of the powerline adapter

It's strange the the wireless speeds are so high compared to the PLA's - have you tested connected directly with an Ethernet cable?

Chris

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Thank you. Do you want me to return my old one or recycle it here?

Yes, when the engineer called recently, he plugged his laptop directly into the router, and he then got a download speed of 62mbps, which is about what we would expect. But when he then plugged the laptop into the PLA, it dropped to the same levels as I am currently getting.

Larry

KeithFrench
Community Star

You may well be able to improve on that. Where WiFi extenders of whatever make are used, there is always the potential for WiFi interference between the router & the extender. I would always recommend using a WiFi analyser to determine the best settings for both units.

I provide free help on this if you want it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Are the PLA's on the same floor of your home, same ring main?

(you can recycle the PLA there if you like)

Chris

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Yes they are.

On the ground floor.

I have used one on the first floor, but this is unplugged at the moment.

Larry

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Keith.

Thank you.

It would be interesting to run the analyser tests, although with the improvement this morning, I get pretty good Wi Fi anywhere in the house and garden now.

Larry

Community Team

I'll leave you in Keith's capable hands regarding the wifi performance but going back to the Ethernet performance is there any possibility that you could maybe test on a different floor of your home, on a different ring-main, just to see if there's potentially interference on the current ring main

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star

No problem, the choice is yours, let me know later if you decide to want my help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

I won't be able to do that today.

I have to borrow a laptop to do that.

I'll do it as soon as I can and report back on here.

I still don't have anything plugged in upstairs at the moment though.

I have the desktop PC and the TV on PLA's now and speed tests I've just run are about 27mbps.

Larry

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Will do.

Thanks Keith

Community Team

Hi larrywilkie,

Ok, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Good morning,

Still not been able to get a laptop to try out upstairs yet, but even more confused this morning!!

I have run several speed tests today, and I am now averaging less than 20mbps, so even worse than before.

I have looked at my router dashboard, and it says the speed into the router is 62.2. 

It also shows that I have six devices connected, although I have unplugged the PLA upstairs. So I have my router plugged into a PLA downstairs and also the Wi Fi Extender, I then have the desktop PC and the TV plugged into PLA's downstairs, so not sure where the other devices are.

Having said that, it also shows that there is nothing connected via Wi Fi, even though my phone is currently connected.

Very confused!!

Larry

Community Team

Hi larrywilkie,

How are you getting on, how has it been over the weekend?

Chris

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

You will see that I ran various speed tests over the weekend with speeds between 18 and around 30.

I haven’t yet been able to check the speed upstairs. Still trying to get hold of a laptop or similar to run speed test on.

Regards

Larry

Community Team

OK thanks, please let us know how you get on when you're able to check the speed upstairs

Chris

larrywilkie
Wizz Kid

Hi Chris,

Managed to do a check upstairs tonight. This was done on my sons X Box, connected to a Powerline Adapter. Not sure if this is going to help!!

Download speeds upstairs were slightly faster, but upload speeds slower.

All tests were run within five or six minutes of each other, the first two upstairs on the X Box. Download speeds were 38.7 then 38.4. Upload on both was about 10.5.

The next two were downstairs on the PC, again connected via PLA. Download speeds were 34.3 and 33.0. Upload 14.7 and 14.6

Regards

Larry

Community Team

Hi

The speeds are consistent with each other.  A true speed measurement direct to the router with a cable shows the speed delivered to the router. When using Powerline Adapters, based on their location, the internal wiring of the house, wiring age / resistance, earth issues, the speeds over the adapters cannot be fully guaranteed but we do suggest to try other plug sockets to see if this improves the speeds at all.

Thanks

Karl.